New frame stickers under lacquer

scottyjohn
scottyjohn Posts: 143
edited September 2009 in Workshop
Hi all,
I have an old seventies Dawes racer which Im restoring, and I am going to paint the frame and give a few coats of lacquer.
I have printed off versions of the Reynolds 531, and Made in England Union Jack stickers, on high quality inkjet paper, but I now need to find a way of attaching them to the frame, ideally with some king of clear tape, which I can then lacquer over, sealing them on.
Does anyone have any advice on how to achieve this?

Comments

• You can get some cheap double sided tape that will be thin and after lacquering, they will stay on fine.
  • lae
    lae Posts: 555
    Just in case you don't have much luck with the printed ones, you can buy genuine old stock Reynolds decals off of ebay - I was actually just looking at them - set of three (two fork ones and one seattube one) for £9.

Make sure you search for 'decals' not 'stickers' though, some madman is trying to sell a sticker for £25...
  • skinson
    skinson Posts: 362
    Why not spray the lacquer on stick them to the tacky lacquer then another coat over the top....job don?
    Dave
  • lae
    lae Posts: 555
    ^ I'm not sure if that would work.

In my experience in automotive refinishing, lacquer doesn't actually get that 'tacky', you'd have to print them on extremely thin paper for it to stick down properly.

Also it probably isn't a good idea to cover the surface of a lacquer that's still wet, as it might not cure properly. It might also seep into the paper and affect the inks etc, as it is solvent based.

Furthermore you'd have to get the paper spot on first time - if you moved it around even a little bit then you'd get weird marks in your lacquer.

A smart idea, but sadly it wouldn't work in practice!
  • NervexProf
    NervexProf Posts: 4,202
    Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom
  • Thanks DJBarren,
    Ive PMd you now, will post pics once Ive completed to show how I get on :D
  • There's a guy called gil_m on retrobike who does replica decals. Maybe worth giving him a try.
  • Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    I think the laquer will make your printer ink run due to the solvents.
    I'd go down the route of proper decals, especially as you've spent the time preping and spraying the frame.