Improving Brakes Performance

dawebbo
dawebbo Posts: 456
edited September 2009 in Workshop
I recently acquired a cheap second hand bike for commuting/winter riding. After spending a full day cleaning it up, the drive is quite nice now, however the brakes are pretty rubbish. As far as I can tell (and I don't claim to be an expert) the pads have plenty of life left in them. My question is - what should I try to improve this...

new calipers?
new levers?
new cables / cable housing?
new pads?
new rims?

Clearly spending less is preferable!

Thanks

Comments

• lae
    lae Posts: 555
    I'd start with taking the time to set them up properly (loads of good guides on the net).

You also want to make sure your braking surfaces are really clean. Go over them with a solvent (a bit of white spirit on a rag will do, but proper brake cleaner is best) and you'll be surprised at how much crap comes off. You can also go over them with a bit of wire wool. Do the same to your pads too (very lightly with the wire wool though).

If they are clean and set up properly then they should work well, but if not then you can start replacing bits starting with cables (inner and outer - cables are the most likely cause of a braking problem, and fortunately the cheapest thing to replace). Any problems with levers or calipers or rims should become present during a good inspection of them and their operation, so you don't need to throw money away replacing every part.
  • georgee
    georgee Posts: 537
    Koolstop salmon pads... meant for the wet, but good all rounders...
  • dawebbo
    dawebbo Posts: 456
    Thanks for the advice.

I'll reclean the contact areas first and if that doesn't help will move on to the cables, followed by pads.

Cheers