My Shimergo cock-up

bice
bice Posts: 772
edited September 2009 in Workshop
I got an 1980s Italian steel frame with Shimano 600 brakes and mechs ... then went and bought some nice wheels that were Campagnolo 8 speed. I added an 8 spd Miche cassette and a fat Shimano HG40 (supposedly OK for 8sp) chain and then vile compact 50/34 crankset which give me appalling chainlines.

I have just tried turning it into a single crankset moving the 50 chainring to the inner side of the cranks where the 34 went. It improves the chainline no end, but the chain won't stay on. (The crankset has decorative grooves which may impede success when putting it on this way round.)

My solution was to just get a Shimano double, but I can't see that greatly improving the chainline and I think the shortest BB axle for Shimano cranks is 107mm. (I am using 110mm.)

Isn't the most likely successful course here to get a Campag 102mm BB and a Record/Chorus crankset so I get a decent line to the Miche 8 spd cassette? (And get a 9spd Campag chain as well.)

I seem to have made a complete mess of this now not so cheapie commuter.

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Chainline should be the same for all road chainsets - 46mm, provided you've got the right crank and BB combo - might be worth having your frame alignment checked - maybe the rear triangle is out of true?
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..