Awful piece of "journalism"

il_principe
il_principe Posts: 9,155
edited September 2009 in Commuting chat
Just had my attention drawn to this article: http://www.kentnews.co.uk/blog.aspx?bid=155

Starts like this:
The cyclist may just be the best example yet of that self-righteous arrogance that has spoiled Britain over the past 20 years.

Should read like this:

This article may just be the best example yet of that self-righteous arrogance that has spoiled Britain over the past 20 years.

What a twunt.

Comments

• stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    +1. Mr Martin all over again. At least most of the comments on there are from rational people.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • These people need to get a life.... the sooner we run out of fossil fuel the better....
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • It becomes apparent after reading the first paragraph that this guy isn't very intelligent. Extremely poorly reasoned arguments, badly delivered.

The comment by Helen completely eviscerated all of his arguments and restored my faith in humanity at the same time.
  • Cyclists are at best a bunch of well-meaning folk who think that a mode of transport invented in 19th Century has a place on our busy 21st Century roads.

Incorrect for so many reasons.

What an idiot!!!! I don't think I need to expand on a forum such as this.
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    Thought I's add this comment:

"You really aren't very clever are you Gary. May be a bit of research is needed before you're allowed to put your fingers on the Group Mid Week Editor keyboard again.

You seem to have missed the whole point of the change that you're whingeing. It's is the presumed blame of the larger vehicle unless proven otherwise, not "all cars are guilty" that you imagine.

I think you'll find cyclists do pay tax's as cyclists do have jobs and cars, and a lot of the lycra louts you speak of are members of a cycling organisation that provive 3rd party insurance. The fact that the lycra lout won't be on the pavement, (it knackers their skinny wheels), is a point you seemed to have missed as you ran to jump on the band wagon.

You also seemed to have missed the one glaring error in your "road tax" state. It's called BAND A, but knowing what your research is like, let me explain:
    Road tax was replaced by VED, VED is emissions based and different vehicles hare allowed to emit certain amounts of CO2, and these are grouped in bands, A the lowest to M the highest. Therefore a cyclist can emit up to 100 CO2 (g/km) before they have to start paying VED

They don't so the VED is not applicable.

It's sad that someone that has reached the heady heights of Group Midweek Editor, can get so many things wrong in such a short one sided anti cycling rant.

I think misguided journalism represents all that is worst about attitudes in Britain, but then again I not a Group Midweek Editor"

Doubt it will be added though ;)
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • i dont know where to start with this cnut.
  • snooks
    daveclow wrote:
    i dont know where to start with this cnut.

Leave a comment? someone somewhere is reading them... ;)
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • The cyclist may just be the best example yet of that self-righteous arrogance that has spoiled Britain over the past 20 years.

I don't remember the UK being a bundle of joy back in 1989.. I mean, fair enough we had the end of the cold war and student massacres... Maybe he just harking back to the days of Jason and Kylie.. Though quite what cyclists have done to them is beyond me.
    FCN: 5
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    My comment, I wonder if they'll post it.
    This “journalism” is nothing more than bandwagon jumping of the worst kind. I can only presume that you are attempting to curry favour with the various vocal anti-cycling posters that seem to inhabit newspaper website comment sections.

Rolling out the tired old arguments about road tax is idiotic in the extreme. You do realise that road tax doesn't exist, right? Vehicle Excise Duty is proportional to emissions produced by your vehicle, so I think you'll find that cyclists already pay the appropriate amount of tax. And as Helen pointed out so well, the roads are paid for out of general taxation.

Your inflammatory misinterpretation of the proposed law changes are also laughable. As pointed out by other posters, this is civil law only, and also is only a presumption of liability, if the cyclist (or pedestrian, by the way) is shown to have been negligent then the fault is theirs, as it is today. The key difference is the onus is on the operator of the two ton killing machine to demonstrate that they weren't at fault, which seems fair enough to me. When you are driving around in something that is so capable of killing other road users, you should be able to do so without endangering their lives.

You might also want to consider the fact that cyclists have a right to use the roads, car drivers only have permission.

There are some bad cyclists on the roads I would not deny that, there are a hell of a lot more bad drivers, it's the bad drivers that are killing people, not the bad cyclists.

This is nothing more than a low rent James Martin impersonation who is himself a low rent Clarkson impersonation. At least Clarkson is funny.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • plumpy
    plumpy Posts: 124
    I love the fact that the host page banner is "GO GREEN"! Do you think Gary the Midweek Editor is slightly out of touch with that editorial stance?

But...it's been said before...there are some awful cyclists around. They RLJ, they swing on and off pavements without looking, they squeeze impatiently through gaps and knock wing mirrors, and they scream vile abuse whenever they feel wronged.

People make mistakes, and if someone is inattentive and steps in front of you on the pavement, or turns suddenly to walk into a shop and collides with you, they say "oops, sorry mate" and you say, "cheers, no problem". Why do similarly minor encounters in traffic provoke some cyclists into all the "You f******** w*******", gesturing and banging on cars that we see all the time?

I'm not excusing bad driving, people should be more careful than they are, and deliberately aggressive driving is another box of frogs entirely. But screaming abuse at numpty mistakes is just counter-productive - any shame or embarrassment the driver might have felt, any resolution to be more careful in future, just disappears, and the inevitable reaction is "well f*** you too - and the bicycle you rode in on."
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    plumpy wrote:
    I love the fact that the host page banner is "GO GREEN"! Do you think Gary the Midweek Editor is slightly out of touch with that editorial stance?

But...it's been said before...there are some awful cyclists around. They RLJ, they swing on and off pavements without looking, they squeeze impatiently through gaps and knock wing mirrors, and they scream vile abuse whenever they feel wronged.

People make mistakes, and if someone is inattentive and steps in front of you on the pavement, or turns suddenly to walk into a shop and collides with you, they say "oops, sorry mate" and you say, "cheers, no problem". Why do similarly minor encounters in traffic provoke some cyclists into all the "You f******** w*******", gesturing and banging on cars that we see all the time?

I'm not excusing bad driving, people should be more careful than they are, and deliberately aggressive driving is another box of frogs entirely. But screaming abuse at numpty mistakes is just counter-productive - any shame or embarrassment the driver might have felt, any resolution to be more careful in future, just disappears, and the inevitable reaction is "well f*** you too - and the bicycle you rode in on."

Numpty mistakes in charge of a car can kill people.
    I'm not excusing bad cyclists, by the way.

I've been cycling in London for two years, and have never seen a cyclist banging on and screaming at a car. I've seen a few giving the finger to aggressive drivers, and I;ve had a word with a driver who almost ran a scooter rider off the orad right in front of me. But never this screaming swearing abuse you mention, in fact it is much more regularly the other way around and usually in response to the percieved sin of delaying their joining of the next traffic light queue by a few short seconds.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • He's responded - and not addressed any of his glaring mistakes.

I'll let you London lot have fun responding to him :wink:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    I think they mis-spelled 'Kent' :D
  • number9
    number9 Posts: 440
    The comment added after the feedback is basically 'You smell!"

What a bumclown!

I hope he finds blood on his toilet paper.
  • Kurako wrote:
    I think they mis-spelled 'Kent' :D

:lol:

His response is hilarious. What a child.
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    edited September 2009
    Anyone read/seen V for Vendetta? That dude sounds *exactly* like the Voice of London.

Blimey.
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    Must be a right fat git if he needs a shower after 4 miles!
  • number9
    Cycling is much cooler than the tube in summer.
  • Just had my attention drawn to this article: http://www.kentnews.co.uk/blog.aspx?bid=155

Starts like this:
    The cyclist may just be the best example yet of that self-righteous arrogance that has spoiled Britain over the past 20 years.

Should read like this:

This article may just be the best example yet of that self-righteous arrogance that has spoiled Britain over the past 20 years.

What a twunt.

No it should read

"I'm a fat lazy bastard devoid of original thought, I had a deadline to meet so I copied my article from a national paper."
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • number9
    Connected, check out The Times journalist with the least-plausible lycra-nazi assault story ever.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/commen ... 846227.ece

Dear old Carol claims the cab she was in was attacked by a cyclist who had a pocket full of gravel.

And she gets the whole story wrong too.
  • snooks
    Do try and keep up :D

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12652066

Fare play to his employers for publishing all the comments though (even the one about little gary!)...some might think they don't like him
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • snooks
    Just had another read of it I think it was all a bit stunt to prove his point : the militant cyclist represents all that is worst about attitudes in Britain

How does he do that? Annoy a load of cyclists road tax blah blah, insurance blah blah pavement riding blah blah

The sit back and watch a load of cyclists call him names...Taaaaa Daaaaaahhhh Ladies and gentlemen we have militant cyclists!
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • Personal insults among the comments demonstrate anger but no clear objection but for your information I used to be a cyclist, then I grew up and had the chance to obtain a driving licence.

I obtained my driving licence when I was 17, then I grew up and got a bike.
  • And people wonder why local papers are on their arses.

Lame, shock-jock nonsense.