Changing rims

sicknote
sicknote Posts: 901
edited September 2009 in Workshop
Hi All
I am after some advice as my back rim has a small wobble ( back lights went into my spokes and took one out ), it has been replaced.
Problem is now the rim is a straight as it is going to get and I took it to the LBS to do as I was having no luck this time and he has also said it needs a new rim.

To the point :roll:
I am thinking of new rims for the front and back but which ones and I am thinking of using the old spokes for now.
Which ones would you be looking at ( rims that is ) and if I need to which spokes too, plus I am trying the keep the cost down.

Thanks

Comments

• NervexProf
    NervexProf Posts: 4,202
    Sicknote wrote:
    Hi All
    I am after some advice as my back rim has a small wobble ( back lights went into my spokes and took one out ), it has been replaced.
    Problem is now the rim is a straight as it is going to get and I took it to the LBS to do as I was having no luck this time and he has also said it needs a new rim.

I am thinking of new rims for the front and back but which ones and I am thinking of using the old spokes for now.
    Which ones would you be looking at ( rims that is ) and if I need to which spokes too, plus I am trying the keep the cost down.

Thanks

Suggest Rigida Chrina, a strong, yet inexpensive rim.
    http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php ... 2b0s116p66

Would counsel using new spokes, the existing spokes would have stretched a little.

Would counsel using new spokes.
    Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom
  • NervexProf
    NervexProf Posts: 4,202
    Sicknote wrote:
    Hi All

Thanks

Suggest Rigida Chrina, a strong, yet inexpensive rim.
    http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php ... 2b0s116p66

Would counsel using new spokes, the existing spokes would have stretched a little.
    Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom
  • mavic open sport rims, really workmanlike rims, go on and on and on.

for spokes get either DT swiss or Sapim double butted spokes.
  • Was looking at something like this for a rim and are these the spokes you are talking about ride_whenever?

The old rim is a Mavic MA2 but its an old bike and cost is an prob at the mo, plus will be having a go at it myself :shock:
    It will be my first wheel build and hope to build a better set at a later date if all goes well.

I am good with my hands as you can see from my avatar which was one of my jobs :)
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    edited September 2009
    If the A119 has similar dimensions to the A319 and A719 rims that I have then you won't be able to fit anything narrower than a 28mm tyre on it. Also, it doesn't look like CRC have the length of spoke you'd need for a road wheel, which is a bugger cos they're usually the cheapest.
    More problems but still living....
  • While I am asking.
    If all goes well, I will be looking to build a new set next year and would like to know what you all think would some good hubs as my bike has campag gears.

Was thinking something like campag velcoe just to keep it all campag?
  • amaferanga wrote:
    If the A119 has similar dimensions to the A319 and A719 rims that I have then you won't be able to fit anything narrower than a 28mm tyre on it. Also, it doesn't look like CRC have the length of spoke you'd need for a road wheel, which is a bugger cos they're usually the cheapest.

Going to try and build it myself so that should not be a cost problem.

Well should [/url=http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=17150]this work
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    If the spokes are not damaged there is no reason not to re-use them. Get a rim with the same profile as your current one and you can change them quite easily. I am on my 3rd rims with the same spokes on my winter bike and I fit new disc hubs on my MTB using the same rims and spokes. I have had no trouble with going out of true or breakage.
    If you want to go this way slackenall the spokes off then tape the new rim to the old one, making sure that the valve hole is in the same place and the holes are aligned the same way. Then just transfer the spokes nearest to the new rim but do not tighten them. Transfer the other side ones and remove the old rim. Go round the wheel tightening the spokes a little at a time. Try to keep things even using the threads as a guide until you should end up with a wheel that only needs final dishing and truing.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I started wheelbuilding using Sheldon's guide. Built 20+ wheels now and never popped a spoke (including touring on some very, very rough African 'roads') so it worked for me.

As for rims, well according to the DT Swiss spokes calculator the Mavic MA2 has an ERD of 613mm. I'm not sure how close you need to be to this with your new rim if you want to reuse spokes, but I'd have thought +/- 2mm. The CXP22 has an ERD of 590mm and the Rigida Chrina has an ERD of 608mm. I don't think you'd get away with your existing spokes with either of these, but I could well be wrong.
    More problems but still living....
  • Thanks for the info as I now know what to look for.

Thanks John
    Just need to find a rim about the same now,plus I have seen a Mavic MA2 going cheap on ebay so it might a good way to get a new rim that will fit (its never been used ).

amaferanga
    What is ERD for a start, first time wheel building. probable simple.
    I have seen these video's on wheel building and had a go at truing my wheels on so long ago and have say I surprised myself. Got them straight.

Plus I have seen this or just might do it on the bike again.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    A truing stand does make life easier.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    ERD = Effective Rim Diameter, is the diameter where the spoke nipples are seated in the rim and defines the length of the spokes - also taking into account the hub spoke hole diameter. Worth checking out www.sheldonbrown.com
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Thanks Monty

Thats clear now