Headset Question - Newbie!

dubnut71
dubnut71 Posts: 123
edited September 2009 in Workshop
Ok - I have taken the plunge and decided to build up my first road bike. Now I am not too bad mechanically and can turn my hand to stuff in a methodical fashion but wonder if I could ask for your help in this matter.

I have secured a planet X alu frame and the (dedra i think) fork that comes with it. But from my eyes it looks like I am missing the bottom "black cup" of the headset? The frame looks like this:

3950913957_9b28c79591.jpg

and the fork with all its headset bits like this:

3951691016_fd286ebfec.jpg

or is it a case of me being a muppet? feel free to tell me if thats the case!!

Thanks in advance..!
Planet X Superlight with Fulcrum 3's
Merlin Malt 1
Specialied Langster Flat Bar Fixed/Fixed
Giant Seek 3 (full XT group)

Comments

• Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    No, you're fine.

That's how they come.
  • Smokin Joe wrote:
    No, you're fine.

That's how they come.

Brilliant Joe, thanks everso much for your help, thats what's so good about BR. I should have no play in the whole thing when I put the top race / cap in? the stem then holds it down right? at the moment on dry assembly it seems to be a bit loose?
    Merlin Malt 1
  • amck111
    amck111 Posts: 189
    No, you should have no play. Once you tighten it up the play should go away. Heres a link to a helpful video on headset adjustment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRFqU07u8DE
  • amck111 wrote:
    No, you should have no play. Once you tighten it up the play should go away. Heres a link to a helpful video on headset adjustment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRFqU07u8DE

Yup - perfect, I now understand the role of the top nut and the stem, simple when you know how! the crane creek site has a good how to as well, many thanks for keeping me away from the LBS, i Just did it myself and feel really chuffed!!!
    :D
    Merlin Malt 1