Mavic Askium wheel noise - THE SOLUTION!

Stellite
Stellite Posts: 544
edited September 2009 in Workshop
Hi folks.

This has come up a few times on the forum recently, and have suffered the clicking noise when sprinting uphill myself for a few weeks. Anyway, I have had time to investigate this and have tried a couple of things today with great results.

1. Oiled the spoke nipple at the rim and hub contact points.
2. Found lateral movement in the wheel at the rim. Using the link below, follow point 9 to set up the wheels to remove this lateral movement. Be careful not to overtighten or you will damage the bearings. I think i tightened the cone maybe 1/32 of a turn, use very small adjustments!

www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=105

I have just returned from a 20 mile quick run with totally silent wheels. It may be once you have done a couple of hundred miles on them you need to tweak them.

I am really happy this worked as was going to buy another set of wheels!

Comments

• Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    You're not talking about Mavic Aksiums, though. They have sealed cartridge bearings.
  • The askiums do have adjustment even though they are sealed cartridge bearings.

Weird I know.
  • I posted my attempts to cure this problem in reply to an earlier post, but i didn't post my final solution as the topic dropped off the forum. My final cure was to lubricate the contact points between the wheel and the hub, but although the noise appeared to be coming from the front, lubricating the rear sorted it. Except, a couple of spokes started to twist round, probably through being lubricated. I moved them back taking care to ensure the nipple also moved (to avoid changing the tension) and everything is now absolutely silent and I love the wheels.

John
  • Its nice when they are running silent eh :D
  • Stellite

Did you tighten both sides of the hub or is only necessary to do one side?
  • Just done one side