New Winter Bike Build - Mechs & Chain

d198594t
d198594t Posts: 32
edited September 2009 in Workshop
Ove the summer I've been building up a Ribble frame as a winter bike and now only have the last few tasks to do before it's roadworthy.

I've got rear & front mech (105 triple long cage) to cable up and fit/adjust the chain. Seems like it could be a chiken and egg thing i.e. don't cable up before you put the chain on AND don't put the cahin on before you cable up.

Anyone got any hints 'n' tips to make this a reasonably job as it has the smell of being very frustrating.

Rob
Never underestimate the stupidity of the general public.
- Bianchi Via Nirone 2009
- Ribble Winter/Training + 105
- Boardman Team Carbon 2009

Comments

• elcani
    elcani Posts: 280
    Hi Rob

This is how I'd do it:

1. Size the chain and cut it to length (I use this method: http://sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html#chain)

2. Set the H & L limit screws on the rear mech so they look about right

3. Fit the chain through both mechs. At this point it should sit 'happily' on the small/small sprockets even with no cables fitted.

4. Install the front mech cable and get the mech working to the point where you can have the chain running on all the front chainrings

5. Install the rear mech cable and get the indexing working nicely

6. Fine tune the whole set-up so everything works smoothly.

Cheers
  • nmcgann
    nmcgann Posts: 1,780
    Well you can't set the mechs up without a chain on. I usually cut chain to length and fit (always with a removable link), fit all cables and then adjust.

I don't tape the bars until I'm happy with the control position and that I've got all the gearing working properly.

Setting up the front mech to be spot-on can be a very frustrating job though, even for someone that is a pretty handy bike mechanic. (voice of experience :roll: )

Neil
    --
    "Because the cycling is pain. The cycling is soul crushing pain."
  • Thanks fellas. Both good pieces of advice. That URL is particularly useful.

Rob
  • elcani
    elcani Posts: 280
    Having been working on my own bikes for about a year, Sheldonbrown.com is the first place I look if I'm in doubt about anything.

Cheers
  • nmcgann wrote:
    Setting up the front mech to be spot-on can be a very frustrating job though, even for someone that is a pretty handy bike mechanic. (voice of experience :roll: )

Hear hear! :lol: [/list]
    FCN 4(?) (Commuter - Genesis Croix de Fer)
    FCN 3 (Roadie - Viner Perfecta)

-- Please sponsor me on my London to Paris ride --
    http://www.diabeteschallenge.org.uk/cha ... n_to_paris
  • Thanks for the input guys. Tackled it last night and after a bit of fettling the bikes now ready for a road test this weekend when I can do the final seat positioning and get the stem length cut (with a little bit of margin).

Mmmmm, what can I build next? i son't have a carbon framed machine!
  • Thanks for the input guys. Tackled it last night and after a bit of fettling the bike is now ready for a road test this weekend when I can do the final seat positioning and get the stem length cut (with a little bit of margin).

Mmmmm, what can I build next? I don't have a carbon framed machine!