My commute route explained

rolf_f
rolf_f Posts: 16,015
edited September 2009 in Commuting chat
I just don't think folk here appreciate how tough my commute is so I thought I'd better make it clear.

As you can see, my commute is basically Stage 16 of the 2008 Tour de France; Cuneo - Jausiers. Maybe not one of the great classics but it does have two hors categorie climbs and I think you'll agree that doing that 5 times a week and 5 more in reverse is pretty damn impressive.

I'll generally set off around 5pm. After about 4 minutes I'll find myself on Kirkstall road at the first sprint (I cross the line at the Dulux decorator centre). It's then an easy uphill climb until Kirkstall lights where the second sprint is just across from Morrisons (tricky is this one due to some sharp turns, traffic lights and narrow roads). Immediately after, is the first HC category climb up to the 2351m Col de la Lombarde in Bramley which I reach about 18 minutes after setting off. Turning right, off the Col and past the Vic, it is a steep descent, handled in true Cancellara style, but I must watch out for the lights on Leeds Bradford Road. A welcome feed zone can be had at Cafe Fraiche across from Crosstrax cycles which sets me up nicely for the second HC climb of the day; the vicious 2802m Cime de la Bonette-Restefond.

The first crux is crossing the awkwardly steep Rodley roundabout but I then settle down to a painful grind up the Shipley Road. However, after about 4 minutes a slightly tricky narrow gap through some bollards takes me onto the final short section up through Calverley to the summit of the col which, fortunately, is where I live so I don't have to do the following descent. The time is now generally about 5:30. A quick recovery drink and a pasta based meal and I'm ready to go again the next day.

Commutdf.jpg
Faster than a tent.......

Comments

• Is that the best that you can do......
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Is that it Rolf F? I thought it was going to be worthy of a round of applause but i can only just raise a smile at that mate, Try Halifax from bramley and back 5 days a week. :D
  • Aguila
    Aguila Posts: 622
    Rolf F wrote:
    I just don't think folk here appreciate how tough my commute is so I thought I'd better make it clear.

As you can see, my commute is basically Stage 16 of the 2008 Tour de France; Cuneo - Jausiers. Maybe not one of the great classics but it does have two hors categorie climbs and I think you'll agree that doing that 5 times a week and 5 more in reverse is pretty damn impressive.

I'll generally set off around 5pm. After about 4 minutes I'll find myself on Kirkstall road at the first sprint (I cross the line at the Dulux decorator centre). It's then an easy uphill climb until Kirkstall lights where the second sprint is just across from Morrisons (tricky is this one due to some sharp turns, traffic lights and narrow roads). Immediately after, is the first HC category climb up to the 2351m Col de la Lombarde in Bramley which I reach about 18 minutes after setting off. Turning right, off the Col and past the Vic, it is a steep descent, handled in true Cancellara style, but I must watch out for the lights on Leeds Bradford Road. A welcome feed zone can be had at Cafe Fraiche across from Cross

trax cycles which sets me up nicely for the second HC climb of the day; the vicious 2802m Cime de la Bonette-Restefond.

The first crux is crossing the awkwardly steep Rodley roundabout but I then settle down to a painful grind up the Shipley Road. However, after about 4 minutes a slightly tricky narrow gap through some bollards takes me onto the final short section up through Calverley to the summit of the col which, fortunately, is where I live so I don't have to do the following descent. The time is now generally about 5:30. A quick recovery drink and a pasta based meal and I'm ready to go again the next day.

Commutdf.jpg

I think you need to get back on your medication :)
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    701 feet of climbing in a commute isn't anything to write home about

My current ride in is 1164 feet and it is not difficult on single speed
  • ...my leg fell off the other week, which makes things tricky, especially on the unicycle...
  • rolf_f
    Aguila wrote:
    I think you need to get back on your medication :)

That's a bit hit and miss - I pick up what I can find lying around in Bramley :lol:
    Is that it Rolf F? I thought it was going to be worthy of a round of applause but i can only just raise a smile at that mate, Try Halifax from bramley and back 5 days a week. :D

Well that's just silly isn't it?! Anyway, I notice if you go via Wibsey and Queensbury, there's only one hill anyway :wink: BTW, do you go via Shibden - always thought the climb back to Bradford from there looked a bit gruesome - endless, endless ascent......
    vorsprung wrote:
    701 feet of climbing in a commute isn't anything to write home about

My current ride in is 1164 feet and it is not difficult on single speed

Well mine is over 1000 return trip but, hopefully, the post was clearly tongue in cheek. But 700 feet is something to write home about compared to SE commuters. They don't know what they are missing..........
  • Eh Folf, chuffin endless mate, do you mean that bloody big hill from stump cross pub that dosnt really end untill you get to odsal top, thats a beuty mate, gets the legs pumping does that, and i aint on a road bike mate im on a hybrid with front and back racks which add a whole sh*t of weight and i aint no featherweight either. Am out saturday going to chevin cycles if you up for a ride and a coffee?
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Rolf F wrote:
    But 700 feet is something to write home about compared to SE commuters. They don't know what they are missing..........

Yes your post was plain silly. But I've seen quite serious questions from people about gearing needed for a commute that in the real world is just slightly undulating. And the people asking are always in the South East
  • I was quite amused by that! Need to do a profile of my route and dig out my TdF programmes for the equivalent... My return commute is 2530' a day, 4-5 times a week at the moment. I am very glad that I have a triple and lots of cogs on the back...
  • rolf_f
    salsajake wrote:
    I was quite amused by that! Need to do a profile of my route and dig out my TdF programmes for the equivalent... My return commute is 2530' a day, 4-5 times a week at the moment. I am very glad that I have a triple and lots of cogs on the back...

Well I thought so when it occurred to me how daftly similar my commute profile looked like a TDF one. What sort of mileage is your 2530? I know it isn't proportionately similar to mine as your climb ratio on SCS beats mine.
    Eh Folf, chuffin endless mate, do you mean that bloody big hill from stump cross pub that dosnt really end untill you get to odsal top, thats a beuty mate, gets the legs pumping does that, and i aint on a road bike mate im on a hybrid with front and back racks which add a whole sh*t of weight and i aint no featherweight either. Am out saturday going to chevin cycles if you up for a ride and a coffee?

That's the one I was thinking of. Is that your normal route or do you keep to the high ground? Can't make Saturday as I am resting for a possible sportive on Sunday and I won't be cycling at all the following week as I'll be prepping for a big holiday/work trip. Up for something when I return though.
  • no worries mate, just give me a shout when your ready, just remember mate am built for distance now not for speed so it wont be a race ok.
  • Mine is over 35 miles.