OEM what does it mean.

5xcr
5xcr Posts: 195
edited September 2009 in MTB general
I keep seeing OEM on sites like crc and need to know what this means as i would like to buy some stuff but I dont want tat.

thanks in advance for your replies guys.

5xcr :)

i know i should know this but cant put my finger on it
12hr days 5 days a week riding to work and back and still the energy to ride 2 other days

Comments

• Original Equipment Manufacturer

not *necessarily* tat, often unbranded kit the same as branded stuff but ... well ... unbranded. Sometimes tat tho.
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • RichMTB
    RichMTB Posts: 599
    For the purposes of parts off CRC OEM generally means no box or instructions.

For example an OEM XT rearmech will just come in some bubble wrap instead of the Shimano box. With drivetrain parts OEM is not mormally an issue, I'd probably avoid other OEM stuff as it might be of lower quality
    Step in to my hut! - Stumpy Jumpy Pacey
  • 5xcr
    5xcr Posts: 195
    RichMTB wrote:
    For the purposes of parts off CRC OEM generally means no box or instructions.

For example an OEM XT rearmech will just come in some bubble wrap instead of the Shimano box. With drivetrain parts OEM is not mormally an issue, I'd probably avoid other OEM stuff as it might be of lower quality

this makes a lot of sense to me and definitely will help me choose parts e.t.c.

5xcr :)
    12hr days 5 days a week riding to work and back and still the energy to ride 2 other days
  • you sort of want to know what your getting.

finishing kit is often of a lower standard oem, ie plain guage rather than db etc.

forks often loose adjustment like travel adjust
  • zero303
    zero303 Posts: 1,162
    Never had any issue with OEM kit.

Has some benefits, Fox don't want you having 15QR without paying for the full RLC gubbins. I managed to get a 15QR Vanilla in basic R spec. Great!

IME, OEM has always been well worth the saving...
  • OEM roughly stands for "upgradeable"

The kit works but it aint the best. I'm looking into getting new bars stem etc.
    Not really active
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    OEM equipment is also sometimes manufactured specially and may not usually be available as a retail sale.

For example, Rock Shox made a 409 version of the Pike fork which was used by Specialized on their Pitch models, but it wasn't (isn't?) possible to buy the 409 variant as an official Rock Shox product.

What does happen is that as stock becomes used or obsolete, OEM items will make their way into the public market place and are sold as such, usually without packaging or instructions.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • OEM means it's pretty much the exact same product but there may be slight difference. It might be made in a different factory to the official aftermarket products, and might have slightly different detailing. It also won't have much packaging and will often come with no instructions (tho most manufacturers have downloadable instructions on their websites). They're mostly kit that's been made to go on complete bikes before they're sold which is why they usually come with no packaging.

I've had OEM drivetrain and forks and both have been fine and well worth the saving. I've had OEM tyres which i sent back in disgust, they were cheap tat, nothing like the proper aftermarket and nowhere near as good and weren't marketed as OEM. All in all tho, most OEM are worth the saving in my opinion.
  • Skonk
    Skonk Posts: 364
    OEM are parts that are supplied to bike manufactures to use on pre-built bikes, so dont need the packaging that you would find on Retail goods.

There is nothing different about them generally, appart from having no retail packaging.

Some bike manufacturers also supply bikes with customised parts but thats not really what OEM is about.

If you buy new OEM kit from a site like CRC then they will be standard, untouched parts but will come in generic packaging, thats all.
    Canyon Spectral AL 9.0 EX
    Planet X RT90 Ultegra Di2
  • Skonk wrote:
    .................If you buy new OEM kit from a site like CRC then they will be standard, untouched parts but will come in generic packaging, thats all.

Not when I bought an OEM XTR rear mech from CRC it wasnt, it was a used one that I got, sent it back immediately :evil:

Oh and they didnt even advertise it as OEM either! Wont use CRC again if I can help it.
  • OEM is what Merlin sell you when you buy a Shimano SLX crankset, mechs and shifters.

The box arrived, I opened it, and only the rear mech was boxed and with instructions.
    Now I know this isn't a massive pain in the ar*e as the instructions are downloadable from various websites, but they could at least tell you that you wouldn't be getting instructions.

Incidentally, the best place to get info on how to fit cranks is the video section of the Hope website.
  • In my expereince most of the OEM kit I`ve bought has been exactly the same as aftermaket,save for the packaging.

Only ones that generally aren`t as good are tyres which tend to use lower spec compounds and are normally wire beaded.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Tyres definitely are somewhere to be careful with OEM, there are some Kenda Nevegals that are pretty bad compared to the "real" ones.
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    IMHO if there is any difference between OEM stuff and aftermarket it's becaue bike company somewhere has asked for it.

With mass produced stuff, there's simply no point building a separate production line, tooling and redesigning at item to be slightly less good. It would cost too much to make it viable.

It can mean a few things:

It was made for sale on a full built bike only, Spesh have a lot of these. Code 7 brakes, coil pikes, Juicy 3 SL's they're usually a mix and match of different bits from aftermarket bits to save a couple of quid per bike.

It's sold without packaging/instructions for a bit less. This stuff was meant to go to bike factories to go on full builds and to LBS's for shop fitment as nether need/want the waste of hundreds of boxes etc.

Then there's the unbranded or branded as the bike make stuff that's usually a bit sub par and saves a couple of quid per bike. Spesh again are good at this, they have a X9 at the back and fancy Avid brakes which is the trick stuff that you look for in the shop but thier own bars, risers, pedals and front hubs which aren't always great - you don't really ever see this stuff for sale aftermarket.