47 miles and Wakefield clubs

paulwakefield
paulwakefield Posts: 72
edited September 2009 in Road beginners
Just managed a 47 mile bike ride, only gave up due to a bad headache caused by a bad pain in my neck from the cycling, but I'm sure with practice this will go. Didn't feel tired at all, so I think I could do a lot more, just the painfull headache that paracetamol didn't take off.
Overall quite happy with the mileage I got in.

Sorry if people aren't interested but I had to shout about it lol :D

I think my next task is to join a club, anyone in a club in the Wakefield area ???
That's my 2 cents,

Paul
Wakefield

Hybrid - Scott Sportster P5 2009
Road - Trek 1.5 2010

strava
twitter

Comments

• Paul, it sounds as though you have the legs for it, well done! But cycling with a bad headache is not a very safe way of riding - your reactions won't be as quick as they'll need to be if you come across a dangerous situation where split-second reactions are needed. Plus, it's likely to make riding much less of a pleasure in the future.

Maybe go for small loops, making slight adjustments to the set up of your bike - one at a time to avoid too many variables- until you really feel relaxed and comfortable on your bike. Then gradually increase the distance. Hope I'm not sounding too much like a mother hen here :?
  • Quite alright and thanks for the advice, I agree thats why I gave up at 47 miles, I only started getting the headache after around 40+ miles, luckly I was near a train station so got that back home, it may have been a regular headache but I put it down to the painfull neck, I'm sure it will sort itself out when I get used to the riding position.
    I take your advice on board but on todays performance I would be more than happy doing more 40+ miles as long as my head stays in check !
    That's my 2 cents,

Paul
    Wakefield

Road - Trek 1.5 2010

strava
    twitter
  • Calder Clarion are near to you. Also Wakefield CC but I've heard their rides can be too 'brisk' for newcomers.

Our club has some members in South Leeds area and regularly ride out Wakefield way

www.yorkshirevelo.org
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • Did you make sure you had lots of liquids before you go as I have had headaches when I got dehydrated.
    Not on the bike as I try to drink as much as I can when off it.
  • That could also be the reason as I only drank around 750ml - 1ltr, prob not enough, although I did have more I just didn't feel thirsty. I know i'm supposed to drink before I get thirsty so that could be why.
    That's my 2 cents,

Paul
    Wakefield

Road - Trek 1.5 2010

strava
    twitter
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Paul,

I only drink about 750ml when I do 50 miles, so it may not be that, had you been drinking lots of fluids before you went out?

Had you been on the booze the night before?

If none of that then it could be the positioning on your bike, see if your LBS can do a check up for you?

I had pains in my shoulder blades last week and think it might be a cause of my bike set up, so will check before I go out in the morning.
  • No to the booze thats for sure, only drink in moderation these days... :roll:

Ill give it another go next week sometime and see if it's still as bad, if so i'll call in my LBS and see what they suggest.

As before though I'm hoping it's just cause I'm fairly new to long distance...

Thanks everyone for the advice... much appreciated.

BTW, any other clubs to recommend perhaps that would welcome newbie's.
    That's my 2 cents,

Paul
    Wakefield

Road - Trek 1.5 2010

strava
    twitter
  • Hi,

I also live in the wakefield area (Ossett) im off work for two weeks now, so if you fancy meeting up I do a nice cycle into Pool in wharfdale and back via Leeds/Outwood. nice mix of flats and a couple of half decent hills. clocks in at pretty much bang on 50 miles.
  • Hi all,

I'm in the same boat myself, looking for a club that welcomes newbies with an easy first few rides. I'm doing about 35miles with no problem - just get bored and run out of places to go!!!

Just made the switch from MTB --> road biking so I'm still full of enthusiasm ;-)

I'm in Rothwell, almost Robin Hood really, so I'm keeping an eye out for clubs. I need some motivation as I really fancy the EtapeCaledonia next year.

Cheers.
    Joe