How noisy are turbo trainers?

Cubic
Cubic Posts: 594
edited September 2009 in Road beginners
Hi, I want to get a turbo to use in the mornings before work. I need to get quiet one though as my housemate will be sleeping in the room above where I plan on using it.

My first question is: will any turbo be quiet enough for me to use and not disturb the person in the room above me (she's a pretty heavy sleeper)?

Secondly: I'm looking to spend £150-£200 (probably the Cycleops fluid 2 or Elite Crono fluid). Would these be suitable? The reviews I've read state that they are pretty quiet, but I'd be interested to hear other people's opinions.

Thanks.

Comments

  • dru
    dru Posts: 1,341
    Quick question - what is the room like that you'll be using it in?

    Like many sound related questions - its not what noise the item makes thats the issue - its how that noise travels?

    If for instance you will be using it in a room with laminate floors, painted walls and sparsely populated it will make much more noise in another room than if it where used in a room with carpets, curtains, wallpaper furniture etc etc.

    I've just got a minoura VF-G or something like that - its really quiet - infact the fan I use to keep me cool is noisier! :D
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Cubic wrote:
    My first question is: will any turbo be quiet enough for me to use and not disturb the person in the room above me (she's a pretty heavy sleeper)?

    I'd have thought that that'd be pretty unlikely.
    More problems but still living....
  • Cubic
    Cubic Posts: 594
    It's a pretty standard living room in terms of size and furnishing, but I do have laminate floors though. If I get a trainer I'll also get some sort of mat to put under it, maybe not the £70 ones though!

    Is it the Minoura VFS? That's £149 on Merlin cycles reduced from £189, which seems like a good deal.
  • Even the quietest turbo trainers make some noise. It's likely to be a constant low rumble, which may, or may not, wake up someone in the room above depending how they sleep. Having said that, there will be more noise from Coach Troy shouting at you to work harder and keep your cadence high :)
  • dru
    dru Posts: 1,341
    Cubic wrote:
    It's a pretty standard living room in terms of size and furnishing, but I do have laminate floors though. If I get a trainer I'll also get some sort of mat to put under it, maybe not the £70 ones though!

    Is it the Minoura VFS? That's £149 on Merlin cycles reduced from £189, which seems like a good deal.


    Yes the VFS-G

    Review here: http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... fs-g-28814

    I think its rated as 69dB which is one of the quieter ones from a 2008 cycling mag that did a TT comparision test.
  • timb64
    timb64 Posts: 248
    Dru wrote:
    Cubic wrote:
    It's a pretty standard living room in terms of size and furnishing, but I do have laminate floors though. If I get a trainer I'll also get some sort of mat to put under it, maybe not the £70 ones though!

    Is it the Minoura VFS? That's £149 on Merlin cycles reduced from £189, which seems like a good deal.


    Yes the VFS-G

    Review here: http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... fs-g-28814

    I think its rated as 69dB which is one of the quieter ones from a 2008 cycling mag that did a TT comparision test.
    I've got one of these I never use PM me if you're interested in buying it?
  • bikerZA
    bikerZA Posts: 314
    I used to use my turbo in my university dorm room.. User to disturb my neighbours all the time. I think it's rather unlikely you're not going to disturb your roommate unless you have some very think walls and ceiling.
  • on a solid concrete floor, you should get away with it, suspended timber floor and you would be a right pest