ALDI bike sale

paulwakefield
paulwakefield Posts: 72
edited September 2009 in Road beginners
Just been to ALDI and bagged myself a top, trousers, jacket and gloves. All seems to be fairly good for the price however maybe I won't be saying that once it's gone through the washing machine. The manager at my local store said all cycling shoes had been taken off to be sent back due to a production issue, thats a shame as i've just bought some shimano spd 520 pedels.
That's my 2 cents,

Paul
Wakefield

Hybrid - Scott Sportster P5 2009
Road - Trek 1.5 2010

strava
twitter

Comments

• skinson
    skinson Posts: 362
    Err. Don't put it in the washer then? Ever heard of washing by hand??
    Dave
  • Yes skinson, thanks for that, I was however being sarcastic :lol:

I let the wife deal with all washing, I'm not allowed near the washing machine as I make all clothes go pink :lol:
    That's my 2 cents,

Paul
    Wakefield

Hybrid - Scott Sportster P5 2009
    Road - Trek 1.5 2010

strava
    twitter
  • just got fully kitted out for the winter for £ 60 . thats the lot. hat ,overshoes, themal under shirt ,gloves ,jacket, winter top, cap, trousers, 4 pairs of socks . everything looks well made and im sure it will last a few washes . dont be a snob , fill your boots .
  • ooo only 60 quid for that lot.. i gotta save for that now too lol.
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • bice
    bice Posts: 772
    where's a decent Aldi in London that sells cycling stuff? Website isn't clear
  • Gutted. Just been down and fancied a jacket but the small is too tight when I stretch my arms and the medium is too baggy everywhere else :cry:

Otherwise the stuff looks great for the price although I wasn't sure about the bibs :?
  • skinson
    skinson Posts: 362
    I tried the extra large jacket on and it was way to small. And before you say it!!! I'm only 44" chest. Got some long pants, under shirt, shirt, socks and gloves though. Under £40.00. Even if the pants are "pants" I'll cut the legs off, get the wife to put some hems on them and bobs yer uncle, leg warmers.
    Dave
  • Joe86
    Joe86 Posts: 180
    I went to my local Aldi, and I ended up spending £40. Bought some gloves, two winter tops, and also a waterproof jacket. Seemed like everything bigger than L had sold out, and I got there at about 11.30. Plenty of people buying whilst I was there, and I only managed to get the last two Large tops. Not sure if the jacket was a good buy or not, it seems like you can get some online for £15-20, and I'm not a fan of the bright yellow! But I guess in dull and wet weather, standing out is a must!!
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Got winter jacket, bib longs, winter shirt, o/shoes & hat, reflective armbands for the kids & 4 prs of gloves for the whole family. £75 all in, does that buy you 1 leg of a pair of Assos shorts?
    PS @skinson - I've got a 42" chest & the large jacket (soft shell one, that is) fitted me fine...
  • Joe86
    bompington wrote:
    Got winter jacket, bib longs, winter shirt, o/shoes & hat, reflective armbands for the kids & 4 prs of gloves for the whole family. £75 all in, does that buy you 1 leg of a pair of Assos shorts?
    PS @skinson - I've got a 42" chest & the large jacket (soft shell one, that is) fitted me fine...

Oh they had some shoes there then, what sizes were there? Seems like others reported there was a process or manufacturer fault and they weren't in several stores, including the one I went to.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Joe86 wrote:
    bompington wrote:

Oh they had some shoes there then, what sizes were there? Seems like others reported there was a process or manufacturer fault and they weren't in several stores, including the one I went to.
    Sorry, o/shoes = overshoes
  • I got the last pair of M winter trousers. Gloves were as usual for Aldi of very odd sizes. All small until XL which suddenly became huge.

Ok it's never going to be as good as the proper kit but it's well worth a punt at those prices.
  • i got there at 850 this morning and could not belive the que for the door to open but after going around all my local bike shops last week to price up winter gear have to say the gloves,rain jacket,soft shell windproof top,bib longs,all for 55 quid which would have been the price for a altura nevis jacket that i liked and think the aldi one is just has good if not better in my opinion felt pretty dam pleased with all of the gear soft shell top is warm and does what it says keeps wind out overall 9 out of 10
  • Got some gloves, overshoes and a heartrate monitor. Unfortunately the fluro yellow jackets were a weird size, the small being fine except when in a cycling position and the medium being to big but still tight across the shoulders when bent over. Has anyone tried the heartrate monitor out yet?
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • got a heart mon from there a few months ago its really good dude no proplems so far some times need to wet pad to start but after 10 minutes warm up sweat does the job of conduction
  • Went to the one down the road with a couple of cycling pals at lunchtime. I bagged myself a soft shell jacket but I had to get the X-Large as the Large felt too tight :-( For £15 you can't really complain, even if I only were it a couple of times and it falls apart. Happy Days!
  • I'm a 41" chest and the large soft jacket in red fitted me, whereas in blue the extra large did. Got both.

I've measured them and overlaid them - the body and sleeve sizes are the same and the only difference appears to be that the blue one has an extra half-inch across the top of the shoulder.

John
  • I was there for the store opening this morning. Disappointed there were no shoes, but still bagged £70 worth of goodies. Soft shell jacket which is really nice, couple of shirts and thermal tops, winter trousers, gloves and socks. Bring on the cold weather!!

There was a older couple arrived at same time as me and bought loads of stuff and they definitely didn't look like cyclists! I reckon they were probably going to sell the lot on Ebay.
  • Rezillo wrote:
    I'm a 41" chest and the large soft jacket in red fitted me, whereas in blue the extra large did. Got both.

I've measured them and overlaid them - the body and sleeve sizes are the same and the only difference appears to be that the blue one has an extra half-inch across the top of the shoulder.

John

Wasn't able to get the red, but I did get the blue, I'm a 42 inch chest. Sounds like what you found is the case, the blue is the same size as the large.
  • Joe86
    Rezillo wrote:
    I'm a 41" chest and the large soft jacket in red fitted me, whereas in blue the extra large did. Got both.

John

I tried on one of those jackets in large, and it was so tight! Luckily the waterproof jacket and tops fitted fine in large. Sadly the normal jacket was only avaliable in large, and all the XL had gone. Anyway, I only like to jackets as a last resort or when its wet weather :D