Bike for Sportive

jamlala
jamlala Posts: 284
edited September 2009 in Road beginners
I was reading a cycling mag yesterday and it was trialling bikes specific for sportives etc. Any recommendations from you guys as to what would be good for one of these? I'm not a die hard cyclist but i get out when I can. Am doing the Dartmoor Classic next year and need to build up to it. Currently have a Ridgeback Hybrid, is it possible to do it on that?

Sarcastic comments unwelcome!
Cannondale Supersix 105 2013- summer bike - love it!
Cannondale CAAD12 - racing fun!
Trek Crockett 5 - CX bike, muddy fun!
Scott Scale 940 MTB XC racer.
__@    
_`\<,_   
---- (*)/ (*)

Comments

• John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Currently have a Ridgeback Hybrid, is it possible to do it on that?
    Yes it is but it would probably be easier and more fun on a more specific road bike. All the talk of 'Sportive' bikes is rather misleading as you can do them on any bike. The main difference between a Sportive bike and a so called Race bike is a longer head tube to give a higher handlebar position and sometimes slacker angles. As long as you are comfortable on the bike and have suitable gears for your fitness and the course then that bike is OK.
    Look at the 2 Treks in my sig. The Madone is more a Sportive bike but with race geometry and the green 5200 is a race frame. The riding position on both bikes is the same and I regularly do 70+ rides on either. The 5200 is for when the weather may go off so I can keep the Madone in good nick.
  • jamlala
    jamlala Posts: 284
    Thank you John, you have too much money I think! If I do replace my hybrid (which I do want to do) then it will have to be 2nd hand as I couldn't run to a new bike, god know where you all get your money from! Interesting review of the b'Twin something or other in a cycling mag, a lot of bike to £500 and they couldn't find ANY negatives!
    Cannondale Supersix 105 2013- summer bike - love it!
    Cannondale CAAD12 - racing fun!
    Trek Crockett 5 - CX bike, muddy fun!
    Scott Scale 940 MTB XC racer.
    __@    
    _`\<,_   
    ---- (*)/ (*)
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Not too much money. They just collect over the years. The green one is 9 year old, well the frame. Some parts are from an earlier one and some are Ebay. The Ribble is nearly all recycled bits from upgrading the others. The Madone was a happy new pension present to myself. I kept the green one because it is worth more to me than I could get selling it.
  • JamLala wrote:
    I was reading a cycling mag yesterday and it was trialling bikes specific for sportives etc. Any recommendations from you guys as to what would be good for one of these? I'm not a die hard cyclist but i get out when I can. Am doing the Dartmoor Classic next year and need to build up to it. Currently have a Ridgeback Hybrid, is it possible to do it on that?
    Bike prices seem to have shot up a bit over the last year or you get lesser components for your money. If you are on a tight budget then you should be able to get a good introductory road bike for about £500.00

I purchased a new Giant SCR3 a couple of years ago for <£350 :shock: . It needed decent puncture resistant tyres adding to it plus I changed the saddle and pedals. All in all I'd say it is a good bike to start with on the road, feels light and responsive, triple chainset and it's geometry is suitable for long rides.

The SCR3 has now been replaced with something named the "Defy". I imagine it's worth a test ride if you can stomach the name 'Defy' on the side of your bike.

Loads of other options out there though... so enjoy looking and go for plenty of test rides.

I've seen someone doing a sportive on a Brompton :shock: