new to all this

pearman
pearman Posts: 8
edited September 2009 in Road beginners
hi all i have been thinking about geting fit for a few years now. and then about 4mths ago maybe i should get a bike, on the 14th aug i made my mind up on which bike to get
hopeing bike will come in the next week or so.
im 45 years old and not been on a bike for 25 years now and live in south yorkshire
lots of hills around here, so should i do no more than 10 miles on my 1st ride or just go then phone her indoors to get me home.
:wink:

this is my 1st post on here boys so dont be to hard on me

Comments

• What bike did yoiu get?

Best bet is find a shortish loop or figure of eight, rather than straight out and back,so you're never too far from home and can always cyt back if needed. If you feel okay after the first lap, do another. Worth taking a small seatpack with levers, spare tube, patches, minitool and a pump though.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    Hi and welcome to the world of road bikes :D
    No offense intended but i doubt you will want to do more than 10 miles on your first trip, it is going to hurt :(
    It will take a while to get used to the saddle / bars / riding position, so expect painful hands / shoulders / backside.
    Don't despair though as it gets better as you get used to it and gradually tweak the bike to suit you :D
    Oh and don't expect too much from the brakes !!!
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • What bike did yoiu get?

Best bet is find a shortish loop or figure of eight, rather than straight out and back,so you're never too far from home and can always cyt back if needed. If you feel okay after the first lap, do another. Worth taking a small seatpack with levers, spare tube, patches, minitool and a pump though.

Ribble sportive, i went to my LBS and got them bits this week, doing a loop sounds like a
    good idea.............she should not have to far to come and pick me up..... :wink:
  • topdude wrote:

:shock: will they not work
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    pearman wrote:
    topdude wrote:

:shock: will they not work

The brakes will work... ...it's just that road bike brakes are nowhere near as fierce as MTB brakes, so brake well in-advance until you get used to how much stopping power you have. The brakes will improve a little as the pads bed-in.

The Ribble Sportive is a bl**dy nice bike btw. :wink:
    Cycling weakly
  • Pearman,
    Please keep us updated as to how you find the bike as it is on my shortlist for getting when I come out of the winter on my Spesh Allez. What size did you get, how tall are you and how did you find the order process thru Ribble? Sorry to bombard you with Q's but the Ribble is probably my fave choice so I am really interested.
  • uptonspark wrote:
    Pearman,
    Please keep us updated as to how you find the bike as it is on my shortlist for getting when I come out of the winter on my Spesh Allez. What size did you get, how tall are you and how did you find the order process thru Ribble? Sorry to bombard you with Q's but the Ribble is probably my fave choice so I am really interested.

bike came today and its ggggrreat !!!
    i got a Med (52cm C toTop ) , im 172 cm tall and it feels like a real good fit
    as for the order process i found it really easy make the order, but it was hard to make my mind up in what to get. hope that helps you