Forum home Road cycling forum Road beginners

Mini pump or co2?

martyn79martyn79 Posts: 35
edited September 2009 in Road beginners
Hi,just looking for a bit of advice and to see what others use.Im moving to road riding from mountain bikes and im unsure which method to go for.It was a simple enough decision with a pump for the mountain bike as they dont need to go any higher than 40 psi and can be stuck in a camelbak.

I quite like the idea of the co2 but worry i may not carry enough capsules with me and be left stranded if i have a bad day puncture wise.I have heard that with the mini pumps that they can take an age to get to any sort of decent pressure and can be uncomfortable in a back pocket?

any advice and recommedations greatly appreciated.

Posts

  • alfabluealfablue Posts: 8,497
    I would not rely on CO2 only. I got a combined mini-pump and CO2 inflater from Planet-X. It is very small and fits beside the bottle cage. I take one cylinder (which lives in the axle of my FSA chainset). The pump, like most mini pumps, will be a pain if I actually have to use it, but I know I will get to a "get you home" pressure if needs be. However, because I use good tyres and keep my pressures up (and check often), I don't get punctures.
  • I agree I take both on the basis that if it can go wrong it will.
  • TonymufcTonymufc Posts: 1,016
    +1 for both.
  • thanks for the replys,looks like i will get both just to be safe.
  • richaricha Posts: 1,634
    Pump on training bike. Both on 'sportive' bike.
    Rich
  • Gav2000Gav2000 Posts: 408
    alfablue wrote:
    I would not rely on CO2 only. I got a combined mini-pump and CO2 inflater from Planet-X. It is very small and fits beside the bottle cage. I take one cylinder (which lives in the axle of my FSA chainset). The pump, like most mini pumps, will be a pain if I actually have to use it, but I know I will get to a "get you home" pressure if needs be. However, because I use good tyres and keep my pressures up (and check often), I don't get punctures.

    And the Planet X pump/inflator is under £10 from this site;

    http://www.co2cartridges.co.uk/tyre-inflators/planet-x-carbon-dual-function-mini-pump/prod_315.html

    Gav.
    Gav2000

    Like a streak of lightnin' flashin' cross the sky,
    Like the swiftest arrow whizzin' from a bow,
    Like a mighty cannonball he seems to fly.
    You'll hear about him ever'where you go.
  • Smokin JoeSmokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    alfablue wrote:
    I However, because I use good tyres and keep my pressures up (and check often), I don't get punctures.
    Oh dear.

    Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear :wink:
  • Co2 and 3 cartridges if I'm going to be less than 40 mile from home at any given point - I figure if I puncture more than that I'll concede defeat and call the mobile support. If further afield, also a mini pump.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • alfabluealfablue Posts: 8,497
    Smokin Joe wrote:
    alfablue wrote:
    I However, because I use good tyres and keep my pressures up (and check often), I don't get punctures.
    Oh dear.

    Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear :wink:
    No, it's fine Smokin, I have been puncture free* for years, and I have no superstitions.

    *only deflations due to 1) poorly fitted tube exploding 2) rim tape failure 3) valve departing company from tube 4) pinch flat from underinflation. No penetrating punctures this century!
  • bompingtonbompington Posts: 7,674
    alfablue wrote:
    Smokin Joe wrote:
    alfablue wrote:
    I However, because I use good tyres and keep my pressures up (and check often), I don't get punctures.
    Oh dear.

    Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear :wink:
    No, it's fine Smokin, I have been puncture free* for years, and I have no superstitions.

    *only deflations due to 1) poorly fitted tube exploding 2) rim tape failure 3) valve departing company from tube 4) pinch flat from underinflation. No penetrating punctures this century!
    Quite right, it's bad luck to be superstitious.
    But come on, we need you to name the miracle tyres!
  • alfabluealfablue Posts: 8,497
    Okay, I have to retract now, I had a brief folly when I wasted my money on Conti Gatorskins and Conti Contact Sports on road bike/commuter respectively. Both punctured and wore out fast. I gave up with them and went back to the "old faithfuls". I am also excluding my mtb tyres (Panaracer Fire XC Pro's), you can't really count off road punctures.
  • alfabluealfablue Posts: 8,497
    No penetrating punctures this century on commuter/tourer, road bike or audax bike, except when using Continental tyres! :lol:

    EDIT: No penetrating punctures this millennium . . .
Sign In or Register to comment.