Stiff moving chainset.

freehub
freehub Posts: 4,257
edited September 2009 in Workshop
Hi.

For some reason on my winter bike the chainset appears to be stiff when moving, like there is allot of friction, I've had it off but when putting it back on it's still there? I had to get the shell facing faced too.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Will.

Comments

• careful
    careful Posts: 720
    What sort of chainset is it? When you took the chainset off did you try rotating the bottom bracket bearings - sounds like they may be knackered.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    My 105 chainset is fairly stiff when I rotate it without the chain on. Been told its quite normal with Hollowtec 2 sets, something to do with the bearing faces not quite square to each other.
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    Hollowtech BBs are quite stiff to turn by hand because they have decent seals protecting the bearings :D
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • freehub
    As far as I thought the bearing faces should be square to each other? If they are not it means it needs facing?

I have an R700 chainset, it's the same as on my CAAD9 and the same BB cups too. On my CAAD9 it's lovely and smooth, not stiff too but it's deffenitly on right, you spin it and it's pretty good, but on the winter bike it's abit stiff. From what I can tell the rotation of the bearings seems ok? I'll have to have a better look maybe tomoz.

I remember taking some 105 BB's off my bike some time ago, they moved freely, I put them in a draw and a couple weeks later came back to have a look at them and one of the cups was jammed up? Unsure how it happened? Anyway to fix that? They where perfectly find and would have made a good spare set.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    it's because you used the word 'winter' in a post

if you start mentioning sunny days, it will free up nicely
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • freehub
    This bike does not know what summer is.
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    Have a look at my old topic about Hollowtech bearings.

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12642648&highlight=anyone+wondered

You can easily pop off the seals and clean / re-grease the bearings if you like a bit of DIY :D
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • freehub
    I don't know if I'd dare do that with some sealed BB cups, they're expensive to replace.