Advice please regarding clip on mudguards for winter cycling

13»

Comments

• rdt
    rdt Posts: 869
    mr.crud wrote:
    rdt wrote:
    Anyone else getting excessive rattling from front Crud guard?

Back seems silent, but front makes a right racket. Tried cabletie tight then looser, didn't seem to make much difference...

http://www.crudproducts.com/products/roadracer/roadracer-instructions

Have a look at our new fixing vid.............

Still cannot rid myself of the major rattling from the front guard, around the brake area :cry:

On the plus side, since I fitted the guards it now never rains while I'm out on the bike, so that's a bonus.....
  • I get no rattles, and have done around 180 miles with no problems .

Only problem i had when fitting, was nose on front guard touching tyre I put a rolled up tube under it to reform shape and left over night hey presto done.
    on rear similar problem so elastic band round set tudbe and on to guard and again problem solved, of course removing tube and elastic band before riding.

I also extending my rear be cuting a peice of old 700c inner tube about 6 inch and sliding it over no fixing required it deflects rain better and does not flick rain in your fellow riders face.

if it still rattles why not try putting a peice of old tube between brake bridge and mud guard it can only rattle where it touches which is where it fastens on forks and brake bridge.

hope this helps

let me know

ragarrds
    tytherington
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,861
    I have recently got some crud catchers and after a bit of struggle got them to fit perfectly..wheels spun road tight etc etc...

best mud guards ever if it doesn't rain

here is the problem... on a long wet muddy condition ride in the lake district sheep sh1t and grit accumulated on the pads.. riding through puddles tended to wash it off for a while but aiming for the puddle is a tiring and foolish game

reassessing the practicality of these things...if the roads are less muddy perhaps... though the conditions I was riding in were not uncommon
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • I was out on a 50 mile ride on roads that were wet. gritty and muddy and found that this stuck to the tyres and inside of the 'guards causing a bit of rubbing. It was certainly not anything that bothered me and it didn't cause the wheels to run any slower. I just think that with the narrow clearances between guards and tyres this is going to be inevitable.

When I've ridden with them on wet/damp roads without mud/grit on etc there has been no rubbing.

I'm happy with them and would recommend them. Keeps feet and bum dry. It doesn't stop water and cack spraying onto the front mech. But then only full guards will prevent that. My bike was noticably cleaner on its return.
  • rdt
    rdt Posts: 869
    I get no rattles, and have done around 180 miles with no problems .

f it still rattles why not try putting a peice of old tube between brake bridge and mud guard it can only rattle where it touches which is where it fastens on forks and brake bridge.

hope this helps

let me know

ragarrds
    tytherington

I'll try sticking a foam pad or something to the top of the guard, under the bridge, to see if that helps.

With the way they sit under the brakes, I'm actually surprised that the rear doesn't also rattle, and that no one else's do too! Shows what I know.... :roll:
  • Jon8a
    Jon8a Posts: 235
    Just got mine with no pile strips!

AS I want to ride this weekend rather than spend my time faffing trying to get them replaced.

What do the pile strips look like? I have some of these that go on chair legs to protect wooden floors. About 4mm thick? WIll they do?

71905_x.jpg
  • sicknote
    sicknote Posts: 901
    Jon8a wrote:
    Just got mine with no pile strips!

AS I want to ride this weekend rather than spend my time faffing trying to get them replaced.

What do the pile strips look like? I have some of these that go on chair legs to protect wooden floors. About 4mm thick? WIll they do?

71905_x.jpg

Email Curd and you should get some in the post from what I have seen on here.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    draught excluder from B+Q
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    if these 'crud guards' are so good, why is everyone having to bodge them with felt washers, draught excluder strips and bits of old inner tube...???
  • soveda
    soveda Posts: 306
    softlad wrote:
    if these 'crud guards' are so good, why is everyone having to bodge them with felt washers, draught excluder strips and bits of old inner tube...???

I haven't had to bodge them at all.

The draght excluder strips are actually part of the mudguard assembly.

Oh and no more rubbing here despite the tractorisation of the lanes around here.
    Nice and dry, calipers not seizing from having crud thrown up into them (unlike the Defy guards) so far...
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    softlad wrote:

I haven't had to bodge anything on mine. Had to adjust them quite a bit but that was me not following the instructions so who do I blame for that. ME.

Draught excluders were for a guy who didn't get the brushes included in his pack. Mistakes happen and he was seeking a quick solution. The advice which NapD gave was advice which Mr Crud had already supplied ie all they are is draught exluder that you can get in B and Q. This isn't a design fault.

The rear guard isn't long enough to protect the people behind you however does protect you and your bike from the worst effects of rain. It's a matter of what you want. I don't cycle in groups very often and never in the rain so it doesn't affect me. Because it's a problem for some doesn't mean it is a problem for everyone and with any product you will have those that they suit better than others.

The great thing though about this forum and others like it is that it allows people to share info like the advice given by poster regarding how you can easily mod the guard to offer protection to those behind. It's down to each of us to decide if that is a solution we could put up with or not.

Lots of the problems arise because people don't follow the instructions (I found the new video very helpful) and I was as guilty of that as many others as I said above. The new video has helped me now to get them fitted so that I no longer notice them. Great product.
  • I finally got around to fitting these after having my arse soaked from the water spinning up from the back wheel on Monday.

I've haven't taken the bike out yet - but they seem to be lined up and secure.

It's normal to hear the brushes rubbing against the rim when you spin the wheels, right?

@Jon8a - I hope you're not really thinking of fitting those rice cakes to your bike.
  • Mudguards are for wimps.

Hate mudguards.
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    I finally got around to fitting these after having my ars* soaked from the water spinning up from the back wheel on Monday.

It's normal to hear the brushes rubbing against the rim when you spin the wheels, right?

@Jon8a - I hope you're not really thinking of fitting those rice cakes to your bike.

Yes, but you don't notice it when on the move!
  • m@rk
    m@rk Posts: 32
    fitted some crud guards, bought from halfords couldn't rely on post cos of strikes even though they were 6 quid cheaper on ebay.

Fitted them in 10 mins (watched the video first) cant see why people are having so much bother.

Although I would take care fitting them as to instructions(almost), where it says 'tighten as hard as you can by hand' as one of the threads on either the bolt or nut 'pulled' / 'stripped' slightly even under finger pressure, DON'T even dream of using pliers (as it states in step 8) as the plastic fittings wont stand a chance. would be nice to have a couple of fixing spares thrown in the bag.

They work excellent, No wet bum ! and are barely noticeable .

But Mr Crud if you are there you owe me a nut and bolt !

wish I'd thought of them.
    Boardman Pro HT
    Gt Zaskar
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Mudguards are for wimps.

Hate mudguards

This is a helpful thread, for the guys using CrudRacers...
    I'm sure they'll all be so glad to read your twopenneth! :roll:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Nickwill wrote:
    I finally got around to fitting these after having my ars* soaked from the water spinning up from the back wheel on Monday.

Yes, but you don't notice it when on the move!

Excellent - I thought I'd maybe I'd fitted them a little too tightly. I'll give them a proper go when I go for a little late night ride later tonight.
  • Jon8a
    Jon8a Posts: 235
    The "rice cakes" work on a brief test so I will be using them on Saturday. Mr Crud has some others in the post but the posties are going on strike again :(

The guards look good and were easy to fit. The proof will be after 60 miles in the wet this weekend I suppose.

I get the slight rub but I can't see it being noticable when your actually riding.
  • FOAD
    FOAD Posts: 318
    Mudguards are for wimps.

Hate mudguards.

Different thread, same plonker?

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... sc&start=0 :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • Just bought me some, as the weather down our way tomorrow (Sun) is looking decidedly grim.
    Paid (a bit of a premium) for 'em, based on the postal strike, the above, and a (sometimes) misguided desire to support a LBS.
    Anyway, trying to wrap the elastic bands round the frame contact points is proving to be a battle.
    Any tips?
    You're the light wiping out my batteries; You're the cream in my airport coffee's.
  • fishyweb
    fishyweb Posts: 173
    Fitted a set of Roadracers to my Giant SCR2 on Saturday. Had to do some major surgery to the rear guard to stop it hitting the seat tube. Basically, had to shorten the front extension piece of the rear guard to about half its original length. Anyone else had to do anything similar?
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/287459
    Member of http://www.UKnetrunner.co.UK - the greatest online affiliated running club
  • trig1
    trig1 Posts: 111
    they defo dont fit on a bianchi 1885 there is only about 2 mm clearance on the back between frame and 23mm tyre. they rub, lots :(
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    trig1 wrote:
    they defo dont fit on a bianchi 1885 there is only about 2 mm clearance on the back between frame and 23mm tyre. they rub, lots :(

Have you watched the video showing the end of the rear guard being chopped? If the clearence is okay bewteen the tyre and your brakes, but there's not enough between the brake bridge and tyre then you can chop the end off 5mm or so after the cable tie.
    More problems but still living....
  • trig1
    trig1 Posts: 111
    the 1885 has carbon stays, and is super tight round the tyre, no brake bridge.
  • Has anyone managed to fit the rear guard to a Scott CR1 2007 ??

Do I need to cut it ? the clearance just doesnt look hopeful,.its absolutely minimal.

Any advice ? front one is fine...and was very easy to fit..and i,m a girl !!

Lucy
    lucy Woodward
  • Stellite
    Stellite Posts: 544
    I dont rate them. All the bikes ive fitted them have suffered damage to the frames through rubbing. If you are going to fit them make sure you use tape or inner tube to stop any frame damage.

They have worn away the carbon fork arches and also the ultegra brake calipers!

Its cheaper to suffer a wet bum :(
  • sicknote
    sicknote Posts: 901
    Stellite wrote:
    I dont rate them. All the bikes ive fitted them have suffered damage to the frames through rubbing. If you are going to fit them make sure you use tape or inner tube to stop any frame damage.

They have worn away the carbon fork arches and also the ultegra brake calipers!

Its cheaper to suffer a wet bum :(

That depends on how big your bum is and how much chaffing you get :wink:
  • Stellite
    Stellite Posts: 544
    Luckily I have a wee bum :wink:
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Just stuck the cruds on my Lemond (almost a Madone!).

Great on the front. Brilliant.

Just can't do the back. Rear of the brake is ok. But forwards of the brake rubs. Insufficient clearance I think.

Thoughts?
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Sorted out the back with a little bodge. didn't fit the extra flap and cut the guard square off just after the brake. (leaving the cable tie hole there of course).

Fine now.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.