Advice please regarding clip on mudguards for winter cycling

Comments

• doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    tried them on a 2010 specialized Secteur, DID NOT FIT, what a pile of c*** :shock: :x

What prevented them from fitting? Might help others decide whether they may have the same problem :wink:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Fitted bloomin ace on my Litespeed...

CrudRoadracers.jpg

Work a treat too.

Just wish they were longer at the back...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I've adjusted the front and rear having had a bit of feedback from MrCrud.

Front is closer and looks better -

IMG00047-20090924-2023.jpg
  • kevinl
    kevinl Posts: 4
    doyler78 wrote:
    tried them on a 2010 specialized Secteur, DID NOT FIT, what a pile of c*** :shock: :x

What prevented them from fitting? Might help others decide whether they may have the same problem :wink:

I'm very keen to understand this having myself purchased a 2010 Specialized Secteur this afternoon.
  • mr.crud
    mr.crud Posts: 49
    Will definately fit the Specialized Secteur Kevin. You can actually get the 'guard to follow the line of your tyre with the following method.
    First, loosen the cabletie.
    Then fix the 'guard with 5mm clearance at the back, like pic 6 in the instructions. Tighten the nuts. THEN pull the mudguard up in the middle where it touches the tyre. The mudguard will increase its arc until it matches the circumference of the tyre, and the nuts will hold it in it's new arc. Re-tighten cabletie until it just rests the blade under the brake-fork area. Make sure nuts are tight, and away you go.
    Hope this helps...let me know via our website.
  • weeve
    weeve Posts: 393
    Dear Mr Crud
    Before I buy what looks to be a fantastic product and get them shipped to netherlands can you tell me if youve seen them on these...wolf cl forks on my cervelo soloist team winter bike. Aero forks not exactly overflowing with space between then....

http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/bikes/ ... team.shtml

http://www.thebikeboutique.com/product_ ... cts_id=766

thanks
  • Thanks for all the info in this thread, guys.

I've just had my first mild 'crap all over my front / back' session, so I've ordered a pair of the Crud mudguards from Parkers.
  • mr.crud
    Hi Weeve
    I visited the importers, Madison, and successfully fitted a set to their super-tight cervelo aero raceforks. It was close, but they worked fine with no rubbing.
    Just follow the instructions to the letter, and let me know through our website how you get on

http://www.crudproducts.com/products/raceguard-09
  • Hi,

I've just ordered myself a 2010 Cannondale bad boy 700. I've been looking around for mudguards and these crud ones seem to be getting good reviews. Anyone have any idea if they'll fit a badboy? I know I'll have to get new tyres, but am more concerned about the disc brakes and clearance around the forks.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Cheers.
  • mr.crud
    Disc brakes = NO CHANCE!
    Racebikes only
  • OK. Thanks Mr. Crud.

Do you know if there are any plans to release a similar low profile mudguard which would suit disc brakes? I'm sure there are lots of commuters out there like myself who would appreciate such a set of guards.
  • weeve
    weeve Posts: 393
    thanks mr.crud
    will do
  • kevinl
    mr.crud wrote:
    Will definately fit the Specialized Secteur Kevin. You can actually get the 'guard to follow the line of your tyre with the following method.
    First, loosen the cabletie.
    Then fix the 'guard with 5mm clearance at the back, like pic 6 in the instructions. Tighten the nuts. THEN pull the mudguard up in the middle where it touches the tyre. The mudguard will increase its arc until it matches the circumference of the tyre, and the nuts will hold it in it's new arc. Re-tighten cabletie until it just rests the blade under the brake-fork area. Make sure nuts are tight, and away you go.
    Hope this helps...let me know via our website.

Thanks - I'll purchase them and try.

k
  • GyatsoLa
    GyatsoLa Posts: 667
    The C+ review says they had trouble getting the Cruds on a bike with anything bigger than 23mm tyres. I'm tempted by them, but I've fitted 25mm Conti tyres on my road bike. Has anyone tried using them on larger tyres?
  • mr.crud
    Re fitting with 23 or 25 tyres.......The crucial issue here is not tyre size, but clearance around the brake area.
    If you can get a 5mm allenkey longways between brakebridge- forks and top of tyre then the roadracers will fit. If a 4mm allenkey fits, then you should still be OK.

Hope this helps
    Best
    Pete
  • GyatsoLa
    GyatsoLa Posts: 667
    Thanks mr.crud, thats helpful.
  • mr.crud
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuyRZ3hAjrU

Finally got round to making a vid detailing 'advanced fixing techniques'.
  • kevinl
    Mr Crud,
    I'll be fitting mine on my Secteur this weekend, will post back my experience.
  • page23
    page23 Posts: 182
    thanks to mr. crud for all the help. I've read this thread with great interest.

mr. crud, I wonder if you could give me your professional opinion as to whether these guards would fit a 2009 scott cr1 team? if so, i'll buy!

thanks in advance!
  • doyler78
    Page23 wrote:
    thanks to mr. crud for all the help. I've read this thread with great interest.

mr. crud, I wonder if you could give me your professional opinion as to whether these guards would fit a 2009 scott cr1 team? if so, i'll buy!

thanks in advance!

It fits a 2008 Scott CR1 Team (medium - 54cm) frame no problem however not sure if there are any differences in gemoetry between it and the 2009 model.
  • rdt
    rdt Posts: 869
    Anyone else getting excessive rattling from front Crud guard?

Back seems silent, but front makes a right racket. Tried cabletie tight then looser, didn't seem to make much difference...
  • mr.crud
    http://www.crudproducts.com/products/roadracer/roadracer-instructions

Have a look at our new fixing vid.............
  • soveda
    soveda Posts: 306
    Just fitted mine to my Defy 2 with 25mm Race Lite tyres, went on like a dream, simple fitting as long as you read the instructions!
    The rear reuseable tie doesn't release terribly easily though and I want to try the tie the other way round because the extension trends to the side.

Took them out on wet roads today and last night, dry feet, horay! I didn't even have dry feet woth the Defy specific guards.
    Not sure about how good they are at protecting the person behind yet, time will tell.
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    Took mine out in heavy rain and crappy roads today. Silent, stayed in place and kept the rain off. One of the best new bits of kit, I've bought for a while. They even look good!
  • doyler78
    mr.crud wrote:
    http://www.crudproducts.com/products/roadracer/roadracer-instructions

Have a look at our new fixing vid.............

Much better video than the last one. I now have mine adjusted and the noise has now disappeared :wink: Much simpler than following the instructions :lol:
  • I've just fitted some to my Focus Cayo (2007 model) and took 40 mins to do including testing them. Fitted no problem. Instructions clear enough IMO. Also watched to fitting vid on Youtube before hand.

Only ridden up and down the street but out on club run tomorrow so will see how they go. First impressions are vey favourable. It means I don't have to get my aged Raleigh out quite so soon this winter. I can ride until the salt starts going down and ride sooner in Spring when we still get lots of rain. No wet feet or bum :D
  • Oh, 23c tyres BTW.
  • kevinl
    I've spent the last hour and a half trying to fit a pair of of these on my Specialized Secteur Elite.

I managed to fit the rear mudguard with little in the way of drama and histrionics.

Despite what Mr Crud said on the previous page, there is simply just not enough clearance under the brake calliper on the front wheel to fit this. I tried and tried but the front of the mudguard kept binding against the tyre, irrespective of how tight the cable tie was or how the stays were set.

While trying to gently lever the frontmost mudguard upwards, the front piece mounting broke, so I had few qualms in hacksawing the main mudguard part just in front of the cable tie mount point (as demonstrated in one of the Crud videos). This was the only way in which I could get the front mudguard to fit at all.

There is still some slight noise on both wheels when riding at slow speeds, and I'm not sure whether I'll keep them on yet.

I'm a bit disappointed to be honest. I've read all the threads on the race blades and watched all the videos several times to get the procedure in my head, but despite the assurances from Mr Crud, it just would not work on my front wheel. I'm a very hands-on practical person, with a solid professional engineering background, so this should have been within my capabilities.
  • Just fitted some Cruds today and so far so good.

Took me about 45 mins including much deliberation about the correct setup.

I'd recommend using a bike stand if you've got one. It's a lot easier to put the front fork fixings on if you take the front wheel off first and fitting the brushes is also easier without the wheels in place.

Also I'd advice putting some frame/helicopter tape on the frame before you attach the front fork/ rear seat stay fixings.

I'm pretty impressed with the guards and it means I'll be able to keep riding my road bike much more throughout the year.

8) 8) 8)
  • just fitted crud race guards and can only say bril mine are fitted to a felt 35 carbon sure you will be delighted.
    i thought they were flimsy on openening but they perform really well howevever i have extended rear flap pm me for ideas