Halfords for servicing?

kernowaj
kernowaj Posts: 198
edited September 2009 in MTB general
What are they like for servicing? The price is ok £30 and will bleed brakes inc. plus fit new wheels (not bought from them).

What do people think?

Comments

• difficult every halfords is so different
    Life is not a spectator sport
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    No they will only do the basic service for the £30

they will charge you for the extras (brake bleeding & wheel fitting)

As said some are good, some are bad & some are just plain ugly...
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • Guy on the phne said they woul do all that included in service?????
  • You need to find a Halfords you can trust. Most seem not to have a real mechanic. Price isn't that important, getting a proper job done is! Habre you checked your LBS prices? At the shop I work in we set our prices near to the big H's. Our actual 1st stage and full service prices are better value, and include stuff that H and E don't do.
  • heez29
    heez29 Posts: 612
    thomasali wrote:
    You need to find a Halfords you can trust. Most seem not to have a real mechanic.

This. And i work for Halfords.

Best advice is to go in and talk to some of the full timers, go in at weekday lunchtime. Whatever you do dont do it at night or at the weekend because i am the only sensible part-timer in our store. Theres one guy who has potential but hes 16 and thinks hes the balls.

but yeh talk to some of the staff.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    DIY

The safest option.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    the KittyBrewster one in Aberdeen is good, only if I deal with one Guy called Ash. He is a downhiller and bang into his bikes, likes to talk about bikes and helps you on mech tips etc... he is one of the better ones, I wouldn't let any of the others touch my bike.

Thing is, get to know the mechanic and insit only he checks it, which is simple enough if you can talk to people, some can't I know.

I've heard and have had bad experiences with Halfords, however just get to know the mechanic, you can normal tell who is good and who is bad.

G
  • Why not do it yourself? You are obviously worried about what you'll finish up with, so teach yourself, then you'll know the job has been done right.

Not difficult, and the £30 Halfords want will go a long way towards your own tools.
    Frank Yates
  • Do it yourself, anything you can't do go to your lbs when they're quiet and get the mechanics to teach you. Building a good rapport with your lbs is an absolute boon!
  • stevet1992
    stevet1992 Posts: 1,502
    Agree with the to it yourself option ... The money you spend on tools will soon be made up in money saved 8)
    On-One 456 Sainsburys Season

Calling All SouthEastern Riders
  • You can get a 3 year bike plan in Halfords for 30 quid that will fit everything, bleed brakes, fix stuff and do all labour thats all you have to do is pay for labour! You might as well buy that if its gonna cost you 30 squids!
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    If you bring it to the one at Hermiston Gait, Edinburgh, you should do OK- good staff there. But it's a wee bit out of your way :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • +1 to getting a care plan if your not confident mate.

£15 for a year, £30 for three.

Free labour throughout, all you pay for is parts. Then you get a free full service every year with cables included and partial stripdown, greasing all the necessary bits.
    Well we do at my store as were all bikers bar acouple.

Both managers are signed riders :)

Jake
  • DIY buy a bike maintanance book and do it yourself you will need to know what to do if your out on the trail and something goes !!! i do all my stff myself (except forks and rear shock ) even though i trust my lbs - I live in Stoke on Trent and all the halfords around me dont have qualled mechanics and infact I CAN DO A BETTER JOB WITH MY EYES CLOSED and you can quote me on that 1 !!!
    Ride it like you Stole it !

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1117150/
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Course, it should go without saying that all the disclaimers about Halfords also apply to LBS staff- an awful lot of LBSs are incompetent, lazy, crooked, or some combination of the 3. I'm in a weird minority, I service all my own stuff these days but I didn't always, and over 20 years of riding bikes I've been ripped off, had the piss taken or had terrible work done a few times, but never once had a really bad experience with Halfords- various different LBSs though have been terrible.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • There is probably a better option than Halfords. I'd talk to a few LBSs and see who's got well rated Cytech qualified mechanics. Halfords may claim to fit bits and bleed brakes for £30, but do they have a staff member who's actually capable? Do your bakes REALLY need bleeding? I find it's a common mistake, customer comes in and says "my brakes need bleeding" when they blatantly don't - they just need better set up.
    £30 is a cheap price and you'd probably get a cheap job. As for Halfords guys being riders; way off the beam - you don't need a bike rider, you need a bike mechanic! Important distinction.
  • reluctant wrote:
    There is probably a better option than Halfords. I'd talk to a few LBSs and see who's got well rated Cytech qualified mechanics. Halfords may claim to fit bits and bleed brakes for £30, but do they have a staff member who's actually capable? Do your bakes REALLY need bleeding? I find it's a common mistake, customer comes in and says "my brakes need bleeding" when they blatantly don't - they just need better set up.
    £30 is a cheap price and you'd probably get a cheap job. As for Halfords guys being riders; way off the beam - you don't need a bike rider, you need a bike mechanic! Important distinction.

I didn't mean it in that sense. I ment it in the sense that they are riders and urge others to ride so won't send you out off the shop with an incorrectly set up bike or hire shoddy "bike mechanics"

Jake