Edge 705 and daily commute

bsm2dj
bsm2dj Posts: 26
edited September 2009 in Commuting chat
I was just wondering if anybody has experience of using a garmin edge 705 on a daily commute. I am keen to know how it has held up to the rigours of a daily commute and if they have noticed anything different about it being used so frequently- battery life, screen brightness etc. My average commute each way would be 12 miles each way with a short ferry ride thrown in for good measure. Incidentally, the ferry is on the Mersey so I am wondering about the sea salt air also?

We all know how quickly components etc start to wear out when used on a daily commute!

Thanks

DJ

Comments

• Yup I have had one since April, used it everyday since (although hardly rode for most of June& July) and it's been fine.

My commute is only about 6¾ miles each way and I've done almost 550 miles just on the commuting.

Build quality is usual Garmin top notch, although some folks have had issues with the rubber USB port cover coming off or tearing, mine is fine so far. I have the HRM strap and also the speed & cadence sensor too, both of which have been no trouble either.

I've yet to make full use of all the features but at least I'll not have to buy any other cycle comp.

You might want to have a look at the new Garmin forum for the 705:
    https://forums.garmin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21

this recently replaced the older MotionBased forum:
    http://forums.motionbased.com/smf/index.php?board=86.0
    as Garmin bought MotionBased and morphed it into Garmin Connect.

There's a few other folks on here that have them so I'm sure they'll be along soon with their views.

edit: forget to mention this thread http://www.bikeradar.com/commuting/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12611027 which has some useful tips from our fellow BR-CG residents.
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    Mine (a year old) does 25 miles a day on my very shaky aluminium framed bike, no issues at all.

Robust little f****r it is.

It would still look new if I hadn't put a couple of scratches on the screen, but I refuse to leave the plastic over things like this.
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    Stands up well to abuse. But the bracket can be damaged easily and the speed and cadence sensor is rubbish. I have given up on it. Just Google Garmin GSC problems and you'll see (kyoukoku,find some wood to caress).
  • prj45
    I've had no problems with the speed sensor myself.

The little lug in my bracket snapped so now I have to use the tip of a screwdriver to get the unit off the mount, but frankly I wish I'd thought of that in the first place if you get what I mean.
  • Roastie wrote:
    (kyoukoku,find some wood to caress).

shhhhhh! you'll jinx it :lol:
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    If you're the slightest bit concerned, why bother risking it?

It's a commute so you're not likely to get lost. The mileage only needs to be worked out once, and if you want an average speed use your watch. A thirty quid computer would do the job just fine, and you wouldn't have to worry about knackerising it.

Despite only using the 705 for proper rides, the mounts are on my bikes permanently and I've now broken three of them by snagging the tab on a glove or sleeve. Piece of crap, they are.
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Garmin have released a new re-designed mount, it seems to be less prone to snapping now :D
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    Had mine 9/10 months now and no probs. apart from the speed and cadence sensor stopping and starting and now given up the ghost. May just need reintroducing but can I be a_ _ _ d. :?:

New bike Sunday and bought a new sensor for it so hopefully second time lucky. :)
  • I have had mine for about since April 2008 and use it every day on my 14 mile each way commute. The only problems I have had are with the original mounts snapping (Had a couple go).

I do not use the Garmin TC software as I don't like it much. I use SportTracks instead, it's very versatile and has loads of addons available.
    Specialized Single Cross: FCN +4 IMAGE

Trek Madone 5.2: FCN +3 IMAGE
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    2 big crashes with mine and it was fine. About 18 months old now and has been fine. Battery life though is wavering though.
  • prj45
    prj45 wrote:
    I've had no problems with the speed sensor myself.

The little lug in my bracket snapped so now I have to use the tip of a screwdriver to get the unit off the mount, but frankly I wish I'd thought of that in the first place if you get what I mean.

Ha haaaa.

My retaining clip snapped right off today as I was setting up for the ride home so my mount is useless now.