Any new bike sales coming up?

lastant
lastant Posts: 526
edited September 2009 in Commuting chat
Right, I've had a search through the site's engine and also through google but couldn't find anything - apologies if there is a blindingly obvious thread somewhere though!

Commuting in on my adapted mountain bike at the moment which has done good time to be honest and looking to upgrade it.

Since moving commute at the moment is roughly a hundred miles a week (three days of 25ish miles and two of 12.5ish), and I'd quite like to get back into running and a perhaps then triathlons over the next year or so, so thinking a road bike is probably the best investment.

I don't mind investing a bit, but don't want to spend silly money in case I just don't get on with it - was looking at the Carrera Virtuoso on the Halfords site as a possibility, so probably in the region of £350ish would be good.

Basically just wondering if there's a point in the rest of the year that LBS's have some bargains around as they (hopefully!) slash prices to shift last year's stock! I seem to remember September being mentioned somewhere in the past but can't recall exactly.

Hmm, waffled a bit to get to the point but I'm sure that'll help someone offer some advice!
One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)

Comments

• prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Evans have a sale on now, no major slashing but there's a bit.

There's over a grand off this if you fancy it
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    prawny wrote:

I'm pretty sure that's not in the region of £350 ;)
  • Aidy wrote:

He must have assumed there was a zero missing.

I've never ridden one, but the Vitus ones from Chain Reaction look good value, if they have your size.
  • Halfords tend to discount around September - October to clear stock for the Christmas rush, in my experience it's a good time to get a bargain. I imagine LBS's will be the same, although this year you might have better luck waiting for January - no-one really knows what effect the recession is going to have, but bike sales seem to have held up well so far, possibly even rising, so maybe stocking patterns will be the same?
    I've got a Carrera Virtuoso, so I'm biased, but it's supposed to be about the best bike out there at the price point.
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/mountain/product/virtuoso-09-34691?_brc=0
    So far I've used it for a short duathlon, a sprint triathlon and an 82 mile sportive. I think I'll be putting a smaller front cog on before I attempt any more serious hills, I just couldn't cope with the climbs on the Woodcote Sportive, had to get off and walk beginnner that I am. However, it was great for the shorter, flatter triathlon course.
    FCN 6 in the week on the shiny new single speed.

FCN 3 at the weekend - struggling to do it justice!
  • prawny
    Aidy wrote:
    prawny wrote:

I know, but it's a fat discount innit! Those are the ones that are easiest to justify ' but honey it was a bargain!' or something along those lines.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    I knew there'd be people out there that'd help!

prawny - a little out of my price range that one, although there's no-one to justify it to...

unscarred - very helpful, thank you. I may well go and try the Carrera out
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • prawny
    lastant wrote:
    prawny - a little out of my price range that one, although there's no-one to justify it to...

A seed is planted :wink:

Think of the good it would do the economy 8)
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017