Manchester Midnight Chaingang

Bhima
Bhima Posts: 2,145
Anyone up for one?

Just did one with a few guys, reclaiming back those empty A roads which are deathtraps duing daytime hours.

Went down to Hale and back, not far, but it was 22 miles done in 47 minutes. :shock: Quite a workout. Pizza in town afterwards undid all the hard work though. :roll:

We want to do more, before it gets too cold. The more riders, the merrier! Clear lens eyewear (unless you want to be in tears instantly) and lights are a must.

Comments

• freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    It'd be interesting to do it to see what happens, seems abit odd, I've done night riding the only problem is it really screws with my body clock.

It'd be better to do one in the day on country roads.

I'd be surprised if you really did 22miles in 47mins though thats over 28mph avg.
  • freehub wrote:

I'd be surprised if you really did 22miles in 47mins though thats over 28mph avg.

28 isn't too bad depending who's riding. The chain gang around here (or the run back from Richmond more like) has often averaged well above 30, and some shorters runs have seen 36/37 average. But like I said, depends who's riding and if everyones keen.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Bhima
    Oh yeah, it was bloody fast. Everyone was going full gas the whole time.

If you're up for it, let me know. It's much better at night, without all the traffic. I agree though; it's not for most people who have "normal" body clocks.
  • freehub
    Well I'll be 100% up for one in the next 2 months. It'll be interesting to see the average.
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    Bhima wrote:
    it was 22 miles done in 47 minutes. :shock:

you didn't bother with traffic lights / junctions / motorists then?
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • freehub
    Maybe they did it on the M60? :lol:
  • Bhima
    What motorists? :? :lol:

It was mostly green lights. Some red lights got jumped but only when there was good visibility of the perpendicular road.

We only stopped twice.
  • Bhima
    I'd just like to report:

28.13mph average this morning (3am). On A roads, the green lights stay on for ages between certain hours for some reason. We didn't stop at all today.

Only saw one car too, a taxi going around a mere 30mph, which we chased down like a pack of wolves and overtook. 8) :lol:
  • freehub
    Bhima I can gaurantee you did not have 100% green lights, I've cycled through Manchester at 2 in the morning and you always get some red lights. Just cause there is no traffic coming does not mean they'd be on green, you'd still have to slow down before they changed
  • Will, I think the whole forum knows what Bhima is like. I wouldn't worry.