Bibtights with pad for less than £50?

FeynmanC
FeynmanC Posts: 649
edited September 2009 in Commuting chat
My 110 mile solo charity ride is this friday and the weather forecast has changed from sunny, not too hot and light winds to rain, 15-20mph winds (at my back thankfully) and temperatures of around 10c!

I was hoping to be able to leave this purchase until october but Im thinking that I may be better to have some bibtights, to help keep my knees and kidneys warmer over the 12hrs I think it may take me.

Unfortunately, i've spent all my money on the bike, the altura summer shorts and shirt, the carbon shoes and pedals, cleaning equipment, crud roadracers, several innertubes and finally some Gatorskin 23s (hoping to save money on innertubes!)

I can just about afford £50 and there are quite a few options around that level online, but I don't know whats good and what isnt, and my LBS only stock altura, so can you lovely people help me sort the wheat from the chaff?

I'm 5'8" tall with a waist of 32" (and falling :D )
us0.png

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    Pow.

For an extra £25, the Twistgel pad is quite a lot better. Lot of money though.
  • Endura 3/4 bib knickers. Roubaix fabric, with an insert. £45.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • FeynmanC
    Nice! But only available in small and it looks like i'm a medium :(

I'll bookmark it for future use though.
    us0.png
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    ^ +1

Or if you're near a Decathlon you can get some decent cheapies.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • FeynmanC
    Is Roubaix fabric the one to go for? I noticed that DHB ones don't have it, for example (total newbie :oops: )
    us0.png
  • FeynmanC
    AndyManc wrote:

The long version is out of budget, but they do look good!
    us0.png
  • FeynmanC
    prawny wrote:

Or if you're near a Decathlon you can get some decent cheapies.

None anywhere near me :(
    us0.png
  • I bought a pair of these for the times I'm on shortish ride and don't want to use my Assos - found them excellent for the money - only £30. Previous generation Assos design.

http://www.highonbikes.com/clothing/sho ... horts.html

Sorry - misread - you are after 3/4
  • FeynmanC
    I bought a pair of these for the times I'm on shortish ride and don't want to use my Assos - found them excellent for the money - only £30. Previous generation Assos design.

Sorry - misread - you are after 3/4

I'm after full length really I think, but they do look great value for shorts - if they had a medium size available I'd have been sorely tempted! Good link trekrider127.
    us0.png
  • DomPro
    DomPro Posts: 321
    Are you ok with team clothing?

http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=c8085

Barloworld 09 bibshorts for £45.
    Shazam !!
  • FeynmanC wrote:
    Nice! But only available in small and it looks like i'm a medium :(

I'll bookmark it for future use though.

try tredz.co.uk. But ring them to confirm stock.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • I use DHB 3/4 Merston bib tights. they are the roubaix ones. excellent. double fabric on knees too. gone right off std shorts myself and my assos mille are vastly underused.
    Cannondale BadBoy Rohloff
    Cannondale SuperSix / 11sp Chorus
    Ridley Excalibur / 10sp Centaur
    Steel Marin Bear Valley SE
    Twitter @roadbikedave
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I bought a pair of these for the times I'm on shortish ride and don't want to use my Assos - found them excellent for the money - only £30. Previous generation Assos design.

So it's basically Assos quality, at a quarter of the price, and without the ugly and prominent Arsos branding? What's the catch?
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    biondino wrote:

So it's basically Assos quality, at a quarter of the price, and without the ugly and prominent Arsos branding? What's the catch?
    That they're actually not Assos quality.
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    As an alternate approach you could pick up some leg warmers and use them with your current shorts. Or some cheap running tights you could use with your current shorts.

ronhill bikesters?
    10 of your english pounds from wiggle, wear them over your existing shorts.

Stuey"moneysavingexpert.com"01
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • Good idea Stuey! I have some cheapy tights from Lidl which the pad is hopeless on, so I could slip them over the top of my shorts and, if it gets warmenough enroute, take them off and stow them in a pocket (or bin, if they are really rubbish!)

This requires some thought, as i know i'll need the bibtights to commute anyway...decisions decisions - anyone spare a hundred quid? would make things sooo much easier lol
    us0.png
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    FeynmanC wrote:
    Good idea Stuey! I have some cheapy tights from Lidl which the pad is hopeless on, so I could slip them over the top of my shorts and, if it gets warmenough enroute, take them off and stow them in a pocket (or bin, if they are really rubbish!)

This requires some thought, as i know i'll need the bibtights to commute anyway...decisions decisions - anyone spare a hundred quid? would make things sooo much easier lol
    Leg-warmers are great IMO. Last winter I only went to full bib-tights (dhb merstons for the commute) for about a month.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • How long is your commute Jon? I've got 25miles each way and i've felt my thighs getting cold on some of the cooler and windier days in August (odds for an Indian Summer? Anyone?)
    us0.png
  • jonginge
    FeynmanC wrote:
    How long is your commute Jon? I've got 25miles each way and i've felt my thighs getting cold on some of the cooler and windier days in August (odds for an Indian Summer? Anyone?)
    About half yours. I'll also 'fess up: I'm in london so there is also a heat island effect. That said I don't hang about and prefer to be slightly cool than overheated. Thighs should be ok with warmers coz you've doubled up the fabric, but it's further up that can feel the chill if your shorts are summer weight ;)
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • jonginge
    Addendum to the above: I'm a wuss (well, very little body fat) so go to knee/leg/arm-warmers and long-finger gloves much earlier in the autumn than most but seem to go to LS tops and tights later. Horses for courses really.
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Thanks for all the advice and suggestions - i've just ordered a pair of DHB Merston BibTights from wiggle, with The Lady's blessing - she looked at the weather forecast and said "you'll need them! get them!" 8)
    us0.png
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    FeynmanC wrote:
    How long is your commute Jon? I've got 25miles each way and i've felt my thighs getting cold on some of the cooler and windier days in August (odds for an Indian Summer? Anyone?)

If the temps above 10C it's shorts weather :)

To be honest, as long as my upper body is warm I don't feel the cold in my legs :roll:

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    I notice that ribblecycles.co.uk are doing endura clip bib longs for 36 quid ONO

These are excellent with some great features like neoprene splash guards on the calves

You might find them a bit on the warm side

I have two pairs of the padless version and they did me for about 3 years
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    I'm still suffering with the OP's conundrum but with a ladies version.

Evans seem to have some on sale but I think they're padless - what would you do then, throw cycling shorts on top/underneath? Get them padded boxer things? Don't fancy the idea of that - as I'm trying to avoid the feeling of the elastic band around my middle.

Even the cheapest womens-specific ones seem to be at least £80 (or, "Only £80!").

Don't fancy the idea of the nipple-rub, straps-falling-down and pad-wrong-shape discomfort of just buying mens, either. Bah!
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    hmmm, nipple rub.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • sarajoy wrote:
    I'm still suffering with the OP's conundrum but with a ladies version.

Evans seem to have some on sale but I think they're padless - what would you do then, throw cycling shorts on top/underneath? Get them padded boxer things? Don't fancy the idea of that - as I'm trying to avoid the feeling of the elastic band around my middle.

Even the cheapest womens-specific ones seem to be at least £80 (or, "Only £80!").

Don't fancy the idea of the nipple-rub, straps-falling-down and pad-wrong-shape discomfort of just buying mens, either. Bah!

Either Prendas or Primera have some ladies' Nalini ones that are about £50...
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    Cheers LIT - I shall have a look...
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • Stuey01 wrote:
    hmmm, nipple rub.

now say that in a Zapp Brannigan style :twisted: :lol:
  • sarajoy wrote:
    Cheers LIT - I shall have a look...

My bad - it was santini...

Here you go