Rear wheel spoke damage

bails87
bails87 Posts: 12,998
edited September 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
Took my cassette off whilst giving the bike a proper clean and noticed the damage below.

It's just out from the hub on the outside of the driveside spokes. I assume it's been caused by the low limit screw not being set right, meaning the chain jumped off and ended up behind the cassette.

It definitely wasn't there a couple of months ago when I last had the cassette off, but I don't remember the chain coming off since then.

Basically is it an issue? And how much of an issue? Is it new wheel/relace time, as I'm assuming there's no hope of a warranty replacement. It's on the Ritchey WCS wheels that come with a Boardman Pro, bike is used for XC and trips to cannock chase, I weigh just under 10 stone if that makes any difference on the "survivability" of it.
Pics below:

SL733053.jpg

SL733054.jpg

SL733055.jpg

The top left of this one really shows the depth of the damage, it's similar all the way around the wheel.
SL733056.jpg

SL733057.jpg

Just to show the clearance between the back of the cassette and the spokes:
SL733061.jpg

Thanks in advance.
MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Some of the spokes look a little thin and liable to fracture when least expected. The chain has ridden over the top of the largest sprocket an into the spokes which means the stop screw on the rear mech needs adjusting.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    well you have nicely weakened those spokes.

I would be replacing them.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bails87
    Urgh, I thought so. Talk about "shaving" weight off eh?!

I'll speak to the LBS. Any recommendations for lightweight and not madly expensive spokes?
    MTB/CX

• DT Swiss Competition Stainless DB Spokes
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    same as fitted.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bails87
    Cheers. Can't believe it, just before the ride today that led to me cleaning it and discovering the damage, I'd ordered a set of lights, that was going to be my one bike expense for a while, oh well!

Edit; I don't know what's fitted, they're Ritchey WCS OCR XC rims, but I don't know if the 'OEM' boardman ones are the same as these, the writing on the rim is all different.

Might have to investigate. I'll try to find a contact for Boardman

Edit again: just counted, they're not the same, both wheels are 32 spoke instead of 24/28
    MTB/CX

• Get one of those plastic disc things that protect the spokes from this kind of damage.
  • Take the wheel to your LBS,preferably one with a good wheel builder..They will measure the existing spoke length,an dorder the right ones for you.If you haven`t replaced wheels I`d get them to fit the new spokes as even tension is essential.
    If several spokes are damaged you have to get the wheel rebuilt.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • bails87
    Cheers guys, it's in the shop now, will be looked at tomorrow, hopefully will just need the 8 damaged spokes replacing.
    MTB/CX