Wheel rubbing randomly.. so irritating

Rau
Rau Posts: 22
edited August 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm pretty new to mountain biking, and don't know too much about maintenence yet.

My bike is a Trek 6300.. had it for about 8 weeks:
http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12637422

Every so often a distinct rubbing sound comes from the rear wheel of my bike when I'm riding and it continues even if I stop pedaling. I stop, check that there arn't any twigs etc stuck in the wheel and I can never find any visible problem. I carry on riding and after a while it stops, but it comes back randomly over and over.

I think it's too loud to be the break pads, and even if it was, why wouldn't it occur all of the time? I know this is a stab in the dark, but i get the feeling that if something's rubbing, a component must be out of line or something.

Any ideas?
sig3.png

Comments

• Loose quick release? Your wheel doesn't have to move much to rub on the frame...
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    remove the brake caliper and spin the wheel. is it still making the same noise?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • gaff_taff
    gaff_taff Posts: 346
    Have you buckeled the rim? Min was buckeled amd cuased the same rub. Lift the back wheel off the floor and spin it, see if there is any movement.
    If it aint that i am sure someone on here will help :wink:
  • Rau
    Rau Posts: 22
    Sorry.. just been out for a quick ride and will have to get the bike out for a closer look in the morning now. I'll do what you guys have suggested and tell you what happens. Cheers for the replies
    sig3.png