Problem with top gear on Kona stinky

nobbyy
nobbyy Posts: 21
edited September 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all

I have just bought a second hand Kona stinky which has hardly been used.

The bike has a 9 speed cassette fitted

I am trying to set up the gears - but no matter how I adjust them the bike keeps either trying to jump into 8th or the other way and hit the arm.

Any thoughts on what could be causing the problem?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it does have 9spd shifters and chain?

the stop may need setting and the cable tension.

but i would look at lubing/replacing the gear cables.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nobbyy
    Wow - thanks for the quick response!

Sorry if I am being thick, but how can I tell if it has 9 speed shifters and chain?

I am pretty sure that they did come originally with 9 speed on the back.

I have adjusted the stop but for some reason the chain does not sound happy on the 9th cog.

The cables all look as good as new.
  • Retro4300
    Retro4300 Posts: 114
    Just count the clicks on the shifter.
  • hairy_boy
    hairy_boy Posts: 345
    As above, check you have 9 speed changers first.

If 9th gear for you is the smallest cog then (usually) with rear mechs if you loosen the cable clamp on the rear mech so the cable is loose then the mech should 'return' to its smallest cog setting. This allows you to adjust the 'Hi' limit screw (with the cable still loose) so the mech sits were it should without any cable tension.

This should allow you to ensure the rear mech lines up correctly with the smallest cog.

Do the above settings all with the chain on the large front chainring - not the small front chainring.

Once the rear mech appears ok you can tension and tighten the cable in place. From there your making minor adjustments with cable tension (using barrel adjusters) to get slick shifting.

What rear mech do you have ? and if you loosen the cable at the mech end which rear cog does the chain move to when pedalling - largest or smallest ?

Messing around with gear adjustments is way, way easier if you can get the bike onto a stand or hang the bike so you can turn the pedals with the bike off the ground.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The model name and number will give it away too.

Also remember 9 speed shifters have 8 clicks ;-)
  • nobbyy
    Hi

Thanks again for your swift and helpful responses.

I have followed the advice and am still having problems.

With the cable disconnected I can use the hi adjustment to move beteween 8th gear and then hitting the arm - obvioulsy with 9th in the middle of this.

Unfortunately even doing this I can find a 'sweet spot' where 9th engages properly - its almost as if the chain is riding over the sprocket teeth.

Any other thoughts - my sanity is at stake here!
  • nicklouse
    checked the hanger and mech are OK and not bent?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • nobbyy
    Everything appears to line up correctly - I can look down the run of the chain and it looks OK - its almost as if the teeth on the cassette are not deep enough to accomodate the chain.
  • Hi again

I have taken the wheel out again and checked the teeth on the sprockets - all appear to be OK.

I have watched the wheel in top gear and I am sure the derailer is lined up correctly - it would appear that the chain 'rides up' over the sprocket teeth.

I am rapidly running out of odeas on this and would really appreciate any further thoughts.
  • nicklouse
    wrong lock ring? worn cassette? wrong chain?

take it to the LBS.
  • Nicklouse - thanks for the response.

I must admit I feel that I have exhausted all of the options available to me, but taking it to LBS is admitting defeat - but for the sake of my sanity it may be the only option left to me!