Help me spend a grand!

tom_fun
tom_fun Posts: 124
edited August 2009 in MTB buying advice
Hello, i have currently been looking for a new hardtail, I have owned a Mongoose Tyax elite for the past 2 years and feel the need to upgrade, I have tried to go into a few local shops and some bigger chain stores wanting to look and try some bikes but I have been let down by poor sales staff and not much choice in the shops being told to "go home and look at the website"

I am 6ft 2 and about 15stone and i dont know what sort of frame would suit me (sales guys have not been much help here either) The bike will be mainly ridden on local bridal paths & around town with freqent trips to Cannock and similar places for a bit of trail fun

I have been looking (online) at the Focus Raven which has a carbon frame, the Gary Fisher Hoo koo E koo, spesh Rockhopper, Scott scale 50, Orange P7 S,

I'm just after a few pointers and opinions of the benifits or draw backs of a carbon frame for a big guy like my self, as i do like the look of the Focus Raven. I like the reviews and appearance of the Gary fisher for £800 but is it worth me trying to pick up something with a few more bells and whistles on it like the Focus or the Rockhopper?

all help appreciated

Comments

• theblender
    theblender Posts: 201
    Big blokes need big, strong bikes, take a look at Giant Talon Zero, size XL (22"), £850, solid frame, decent spec, or the Marin B17 2010, very solid frame, strong wheels, go for the biggest size again if you're 6' 2", both would be great fun round the Follow-the-Dog trail.
  • RedJohn
    RedJohn Posts: 272
    Sorry, I don't buy this needing a big solid bike thing. I reckon you'd have to be HUGE to get beyond the design limits of a bike if you're using it for it's intended purpose.

I'm almost exactly the same size and weight as you, half a stone heavier maybe.

For a MTB I've got a Trek Fuel EX 7 - not especially burly. I've upgraded it with super lightweight wheels (OK I might not have done if it didn't have full sus to lessen the impact). I've raced it at the 10 Under the Ben (fared dismally, but that's another story), as well as extensive use at Glentress (up to and including the Black) and Innerleithen (Red - which is almost Black as well) and Laggan, and various natural trails. I've also ridden it down flights of city steps.

Problems have been ... a few punctures ... that's it (touch wood), in just over a year. OK I was plagued with pich puncture for a while until I went tubeless :-(. Bottom bracket's starting to wear out I guess, but a year for a Shimano BB is apparently standard stuff (how sh!te).

I also have a road bike. It's a Storck, a carbon framed lightweight. I've (gently!) hopped on and off kerbs with it. Again no problems yet, and that has 2500km on the computer now. Oh and I was 2 stone heavier when I got it - those 2500km have helped!

So don't limit yourself - if you're sticking to trail centres etc, and you buy a bike designed for that purpose, I don't think you'll have a problem. (Caveat: Some manufacturers quote rider weight limits, I'd suggest for warranty pruposes you observe those - most don't though, especially on MTBs).
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I am 99% sure the 22 inch frame would be far too large as well! A medium may well suit. 6ft 2 is only just above average these days.
  • theblender
    theblender Posts: 201
    The size will depend on whether tom_fun is long in the arm/upper body or not, I sell a lot of bikes to tall blokes and most seem to prefer a long top-tube, he'll have to try before he buys.

As for big/heavy blokes wrecking bikes, I see quite a bit of that too, so my advice was based on 10 years experience selling the things.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yes, he should try them - the top tubes do vary enormously, as does standover.
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    I have been looking (online) at the ......... Scott scale 50........
    You can get the Scale 40 at that price in Medium or Large here:
    http://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/bikes- ... 40-675.htm