Wind, just go, get out of here for a day please.

hotspur
hotspur Posts: 92
edited September 2009 in Road beginners
Just a thread to get my frustrations out with the ruddy wind. Since April, I can barely remember a day where the wind has been settled enough to just get my head down and completely enjoy the ride.

I would simply prefer rain to wind, even hail. I really can't stand it. Why as well, does it happen to be the case that the wind will be in your face when you're going out (so you think, I'll have a nice time coming back) for it then an hour or two later to be in your face on the way back or at least bashing you from the side.

I'm sure that I'm not the only person who hates the wind more than anything when cycling. Yes occasionally it's going to happen, but if I've had more than two rides out of 40 without a swirling wind I'd be surprised.

Britain, I hate your weather!
If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail.

Follow Darts? Follow the Modus Darts team

http://www.modusdartsforum.com

Comments

• drewk1
    drewk1 Posts: 61
    I feel your pain
    Here its been windy for every day for as long as I can remember this summer.
    Just looking out of the window now and the tree's are bending...

Spesh Hardrock Sport Disc 2009
    Focus Cayo 2.0
    Dawes Scorpio beater
  • Stellite
    Stellite Posts: 544
    Ah, just think how much fitter you are now than if you had been training with no wind!
  • 37monkey
    37monkey Posts: 141
    Stellite wrote:
    Ah, just think how much fitter you are now than if you had been training with no wind!

+1

I always think of a head wind as a training wind, it will make me stronger.

Also I thought the whole point of drop bars was to make you more aero dynamic - head down and knees bouncing off your chest!
  • Try starting your rides earlier, I find less wind around at 0600hrs also less trafic funny old thing
  • cathald
    cathald Posts: 105
    Try living on the north coast of Ireland
    now that's wind for you
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    cathald wrote:
    Try living on the north coast of Ireland
    now that's wind for you

or the west coast of Wales.. ;)
  • sloxam
    sloxam Posts: 861
    wind = resistance training one way and faster pace on the way back.
    interesting listening to the vuelta commentary that the breeze in holland wouldn't be natural to the spanish riders!
    whenever i've been to the spanish coast its always been breezy, guess most of the riders come from central spain where theres less wind
    i hate hills (cos i'm fat)

www.justgiving.com/steven-loxam/
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,905
    The wind as resistance training only works if the wind vanishes when you race though right? :)
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    I sympathise. I thought the wind was bad here in southern Finland until I went home to the UK for three weeks recently. I was based in SW Edinburgh so was heading along the A70 (the "Lang Whang") to Carnwath and back every other day. This road basically heads precisely into the prevailing south westerly winds across exposed moorland for 20 miles, with a mostly slightly uphill gradient and a rather rough, slow-rolling road surface... The payback is 20miles of effortless high speed cruising on the way back, but it's still not worth it!
    Try starting your rides earlier, I find less wind around at 0600hrs also less trafic funny old thing
    Same goes for later, at least here in Finland. During the summer when it's light until really late the wind always seems to drop off an hour or so before sunset. Of course this often means that I get it against me on the way out and then it disappears just when I am turning around... :roll:
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    Hills are good at blocking wind, try going somewhere hilly and covered with trees.

Also friends are helpful, get some friends who you can wheel suck most of the way out, then take over the front just as you turn away from the wind and get carried home.

If they complain just mention how selflessly you allowed them to have a high quality workout, and then only took over the front when they were tired.

Greater love hath no man than this, that he might give up his quality training sessions for his friends.
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • I feel your pain. massive cross and headwinds all but had me giving up on a ride yesterday.