Fastest ever 30km, no TT allowed!!

SgtFinaldo
SgtFinaldo Posts: 54
edited August 2009 in Road beginners
So my uncle went to santree recnetly, a local sports centre, where there was a 30 km race on a long oval track. He finished a brilliant 12th, with a time of around 43 mins. He was knackered, and he is a very very fit man, not in his 40's yet.

Then he found out who came first, a 16 year old in full TT gear with a giant Trinity aero bike in just under 30 mins.

What im saying is, what is and how do you find a good benchmark?

Being able to do short courses extremely fast, or being able to do 6 hours plus on the bars??

I have never cycled over 55km.
Must go faster.

Comments

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    SgtFinaldo wrote:
    What im saying is, what is and how do you find a good benchmark?
    A good benchmark is what I know I can do as base effort - i.e. not killing m'self, just having a bit of a go:

Commute (21 miles) < 1h

Parents' farm - 47 miles under 2h 30

Century, over a v hilly route (Peak District last time) - 7 hours

None of it ground breaking or likely to put me on the podium on the TDF, but that's my benchmark. Except for the commute, I've never pushed the other two as much as I should.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    SgtFinaldo wrote:
    Then he found out who came first, a 16 year old in full TT gear with a giant Trinity aero bike in just under 30 mins.

But this means he averaged more than 37mph which is practically impossible. I think your figures are wrong - either the distance or his time?

Dave Z just won the US Pro champs in 37.49 mins which was 33.4km long.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Firstly, if the winner did under 30mins it wasn't 30kms and the track would either have to be vast or banked to even do those speeds on an oval, so more likely it was 20kms (still a good time), but your uncles 43mins was a less than 30kph which is OK but nothing special. Sorry.
  • It was an outdoor oval and banked (like an outside velodrome)
    Time is probably wrong, but was definitely 30km.
    So uncle was fairly correct he was doing an average of 39km/h.

How in the name of god did that kid do that tho?
    Am trying to find his name.
    Must go faster.