I cant inflate my RockShox Reba SL forks

teulk
teulk Posts: 557
edited August 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
What am i doing wrong - if anything ? Ive just bought a Wrench Force Sock Pump and when i try and pump the shocks up nothing seems to happen. The gage on the pump doesnt move and wont go past Zero. Infact im not even sure any air is going into the forks. Now this may be a stupid question but how do i pump them up ?

This is what i was doing it...........

1. Unlocked forks
2. Removed valve covers top and bottom
3. Attached the pump by screwing on to the top valve (pressure gauge stays at zero)
4. Started to (pressure guage stays at zero)

Ok what am i missing or doing wrong ?
Boardman Team 09 HT
Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
Specialized Secteur Elite 2011

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds like either the pump is not being screwed on fully or it is faulty.

is there air in there now?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • teulk
    I hope there is air in there as ive been riding it for 5 months - i guess your thinking that if they were empty then it would take a while for the guage to register the pressure.

There is air coming from the pump , there is a release of air as i attach the pump to the forks indicating valve is colate the compressed but it just doesnt seem to inflate the forks. There is a bleed button on the pump, if i press it then air is released however i dont know it that is just air from the pump tube or the forks as the last thing i want to do is deflate them if i cant put the air back in.

Also me fingers were covered in oil after trying to inflate them.
    Boardman Team 09 HT
    Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds like it might just be a faulty gauge.

try the pump on something else and see if you can get a reading.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • teulk
    Looks like the guage is faulty - not impressed at all. The pump works as ive just pumped an old innertube up with it. I then attached it to my tyre and the gauge shot up great i thought. I then took it off and attached it again - nothing this time. Looks like a trip back to the shop !

I have to say though that even after establishing the pump works it still feels as though no air is going into the forks.

Thanks for the replies.
    Boardman Team 09 HT
    Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010