Fitting Avid Juicy 5 Brakes

mossmotorsport
mossmotorsport Posts: 356
edited August 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

Trying to fit my new Avid Juicy 5 brakes (using a post mount to IIS adapter) and im unsure as to if the adapter is on correct? At the moment the pads are rubbing on the rotor - and the lever does feels a little bit spongy (they came pre-bled so should not need a re-bleed). The avid instructions are useless - and I would like someone to check that they look fitted correctly. Thanks guys.

P1000841-1.jpg
Specialized FSR XC Expert 2010

Comments

• Have you done the caliper align bit? Unscrew the bolts that connects the caliper to the mount, squeeze the brake leaver to align the caliper on the disc and then do the bolts back up? I thought the Avid instructions were ok... I'm not sure about the IS/Post mount adaptor; I'm sure someone else will chime in about that.

Avids are known for their slightly squishy feel - you'll get used to it.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    that is so wrong i dont know where to start.

please list the parts you have.

Disc size.

and the second adaptor?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    I'm fairly sure that the adaptor is on upside down, the arrow should point upwards IIRC

Nicklouse will get to the bottom of it faster than I can type though!
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • Hi - damn - the parts I had were (only listing front for now) 183mm front rotor, caliper, levers, 6 bolts for new rotor - the Post Mount to IIS (one part which says 185f in the photo) and the other black part that is attached to the adapter.
  • nicklouse
    Hi - damn - the parts I had were (only listing front for now) 183mm front rotor, caliper, levers, 6 bolts for new rotor - the Post Mount to IIS (one part which says 185f in the photo) and the other black part that is attached to the adapter.

right take it all off.

fit the 185 adaptor with the arrow pointing to the bars,

remove the second adaptor and mount the caliper with the washers direct to the 185 adaptor.

NOTE you have the spacers in the wrong order. the two concave ones should be against the caliper.

like this

pbpic1174591.jpg
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Thanks I am trying that now (laptop in garage!!) - the brakes came with all the washers + bolts in the order that I put them on the forks - so I think thats where I got confused :(
  • better??
    P1000847.jpg
  • I know im missing 1x concave part - its on the floor somewhere - but this is to check that I am on the right tracks!
  • nicklouse
    "your" upper (in life the bottom) mount looks right. Except for the length of the bolt :wink:

the concave and convex parts are the same as can be found on V brakes if you cant find the bit.
  • Found the part - cheers Nick - I know the bolt looks huge!! Thats the bolt it came with though and I cant see it would be a problem - would it? Need to work out how to align pads now - still - saves paying my LBS £40 or whatever they wanted to fit them!!
  • nicklouse
    download the manual and read.

slacken of the bolts apply the brake and push the wheel round one rev and then pull lever tighter and do up the bolts.
  • The manual is too tricky for me :lol: I cannot thank you enough for your time - thanks :D