One tyre does all

dickydulux
dickydulux Posts: 111
edited September 2009 in MTB buying advice
Given that we no longer have seasons in the uk; just wet and humid, wet and cold and very wet and f***ing freezing. Do we still need all the different summer/mud/high-speed tyres?
If you had to fit one tyre to cover all 12 months, what would it be?
Even in the darkest of days, Churchill still rode his Spesh.
th_specialized001-1.jpg

Comments

• Stoo61
    Stoo61 Posts: 1,394
    Yeah I dont think we do need summer tyres here. This summer has been abismal for weather.

Im fine with my Fire XC Pros.
  • Could you ask a harder question?!

For the past couple of months I've been running Michelin Mountain Xtrem, which Michelin claim is an 'all things to all men' tyre, but it isn't really. I was a bit disappointed.
    It's billed as an all-rounder, but that just means that it fails to impress just about everywhere.

I'll be sticking to multiple tyres from now on.
  • Dazzza
    Dazzza Posts: 2,364
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • christk
    christk Posts: 122
    Totally agree!! I've been looking for a new UST tyre for the past week or so. I'm amazed how little choice there is out there, considering the industry claims that tubless is the future?
    Never heard a bad report about the Nobbly Nics but at £40+ a throw just not prepared to pay that much for a tyre (I can go to Asda and buy a bike for less than the cost of 2 tyres). As for Maxxis I find that a few company's may advertise a tyre but don't actually hold them in stock.
    Why don't tyre companies offer greater selection of UST tyres? :roll:
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    Specialized Sauserwind Control 1.8 (but comes up a 2.1) is my year round all round tyre choice.
  • pdid
    pdid Posts: 1,065
    Single ply 2.35 Highrollers in 60a compound.
  • Dazzza
    The problem with finding an all round tyre is that they all are. :lol:

Like i posted kenda excavator dtc, i love the things.
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • rottitera02
    rottitera02 Posts: 863
    edited September 2009
    Try a set of hutchinson xc airlights, i use them and they rock, road or off-road, they might be a bit pricey but i got 2 for 63 nicker. they can be a bit slidey in the gloop but you get used to it. Climbing is a doddle with these too :D
    2001 Cove Stiffee FR
    Trek liquid 10
    Dolan Hercules Carbon
  • dickydulux
    dickydulux Posts: 111
    Dazzza you seem to love your kenda excavator's, have you got shares in them? :lol:

Seriously though, in WMB their top 3 all-round tyres don't seem to get a mention here in the real world :?: Discuss:
    Even in the darkest of days, Churchill still rode his Spesh.
    th_specialized001-1.jpg
  • Dazzza
    Tyres are very subjective, i bought tyres that have had stellar reviews yet been a total pos to me so it's very much down to preference.

And yes i love those tyres, best all rounder so far, i prefer my nics of course but they wear fast so are reserved for events only. ;)
    Giant Anthem X
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    I like mine because they do road and mud and I've not yet tried a tyre that can do both to my liking, they are superb rollers on the road with enough dig in xc mud. And at 530g with added puncture protection over the s-works range with the option of running tubeless, makes them very, very spiffy.
  • TonyWard
    TonyWard Posts: 149
    I have used Nobby Nic's all summer. I think on the very dry days there are better / faster rolling options though. Not too worried about the cost as I don't get through them too quickly.

Incidentally, I am always a little surprised about how often the cost of tires comes up - I would have thought it was one area where paying enough to get the best tires would be a worthwhile investment given the cost of the rest of the bike! But then perhaps if I rode more often I would be more concerned - they last me 9 months or so - how often is everyone else getting through them?
  • nik young
    nik young Posts: 257
    ive tried the past few months-

maxxis high roller 2.1 -2.35 super tacky
    maxxis larsens 2.35 super tacky
    maxxis igniters 2.1
    maxxis advantage 2.1
    continental verticals 2.0
    continental race kings 2.0
    continental mountain kings 2.0
    panaracer fire xc pro 2.1

my favourites are the maxxis advantage and when we get a dry day its the race kings
  • Have used my nics for the last 12-14 mths, road commuting to work and w/ends xc, starting to go thin now so went for hutchinson xc airlights.

Still cant justify prices of bike tyres alongside car tyre prices, a bit of hunting on t'internet can soften the price enough to persuade you to part with hard earned dough though. :?
    2001 Cove Stiffee FR
    Trek liquid 10
    Dolan Hercules Carbon
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    I use one set of tyres all year round, (Nevegals this year) I just MTFU and deal with it.

rottitera02 Bike tyres Vs car tyres... £210 for 2 car tyres, £45 for 2 bike tyres
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • Tyres are a minefield and sites like Mtbr.com dont help with reviews that go from best thing ever to worst tyre ever :?. My tyres (Schwalbe Little alberts) where fine until I started riding with a group and kept sliding out due to increased pace.

Now I'm trying Nevegals UST, Just ordered today as they are currently on sale which helped me finally decide. Would of got the excavators but could not be arsed to set up another online account :oops: . Though later on I might look for some UST mud tyres aswell.
  • Hi,

New here so wasn't sure whether to start a new topic or jump on an existing one. But seeing as its tyre related I thought there are already enough without me adding another!

Basically I am 5'8" 13ish stone kitted and ride an 09 Orange Five Pro (16" frame) with Mavic XM819 (UST) rims shod with Conti Mountain-King 2.2 UST tyres. I usually ride trail centres such as The Marin, Coed-y-Brenin, Climach-X, The North Face, Cannock (Follow the Dog), etc. with the occasional 30 mile Peak District loop thrown in.

I find the MKs adequate in most situations, but at the trail centres when its wet, they seem to give in easily on rocks and roots, making me nervous (I am self-employed and cannot risk time off work), I started running at 50psi as per the Conti web-site's recommended pressure, but now operate at about 35psi.

As for the Peaks, the MKs are fine on the hard/compacted surfaces, but struggle a little in muddy/sandy/soft conditions or on wet rocks. Though in all fairness I'v never had a puncture yet since going UST!

First issue is am I am expecting too much from a patch of rubber the size of a matchbox? i.e. are the MKs the best I will get for these conditions.

I've read that many reports I can no longer see the wood for the trees! So here are the candidates any useful replies would be appreciated.

- Minion DHF, but the UST is only in 2.5 42a tacky, will this fit my 819 rims and TALAS forks, If so what should I use on the rear?

- High-Rollers seem to be raved about, but as an engineer looking at the tread I am not inspired.

- Nobby Nic seem good, but people mention a weak sidewall and the need for high pressures as a result.

- Panaracer Cinder or Fire XC Pro look excellent but their USTs are 'only' 2.1, is this too narrow as an all-round, all weather/conditions/terrain tyre for a fatty riding a fatty?

- Intense System 4, DH and 909 look good, but are tubes only. Can I bang in some 'milk' and run UST or is this asking for trouble?

- Kenda Nevegal 2.35 UST DTC seems the right size and is UST, but I always look at Kenda as being cheap tack.

- Conti Rubber Queen, other than the 2.2 being big for a Conti and UST I am not sure about these.

- Conti MK 2.4 UST, I am sure I read that the 2.4 is a much better, and a different, tyre to the 2.2. Orange originally fitted the 2.4 but when mine and subsequent bikes arrived they wore 2.2.

I want a good tyre, that will grip and inspire confidence when I turn in, brake and accelerate. I want it to resist punctures and as I forked out for 819 rims would prefer UST. I am not too worried about width as long as it will fit my forks/frame with ample clearance and not drag so much that I kill myself climbing.

In anticipation of your advice - thanks,
    Harvey
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    my choice;

Nobby Nic Snakeskin 2.4 (Front)
    High Roller 60a 2.35 (Rear)

my SS has the 2.1 versions of the same tyres, although I may try the 2.35 Kevlar HR once I can get my mits on one.

as for price. If there were as many MTBs on the road as cars, then the price comparison would be more valid. Plus you're looking at really top end tyre technology on bikes and really quite mainstream tech on car tyres (try looking up prices on racing or high speed car tyres for a fairer comparison). For me I probably buy one set of tyres a year so I'm not so sensitive to price, I just want the tyre that suits me and the trails I ride and NN/HR is it at the moment.
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    pdid wrote:
    Single ply 2.35 Highrollers in 60a compound.

Same - although I might choose the folding XC version depending on my mood. Cinder 2.25 do a similar job also.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    Around the Chilterns I always got on well with Bonty Mud X as an all year rounder. They even worked well at all the Afan/Glyncorrwg trails when I took them there, although I would have liked a wider tyre. I tried the Bonty Jones ACX 2.2 and they were great until it got really muddy, then they just clogged up completely.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    if i only had one bike i would use specialized 2.3 sworks eskar 2bliss.

they are nice and big, have loads of grip on dry, on wet or dry rocks but ive never tried them in mud (but i dont ride when its proper wet). they wear really well. im confident the open spaced tread will not clog with mud.
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    conti rubber queens, obviously.
  • Splasher
    Splasher Posts: 1,528
    Best compromise I've found (particularly if you want UST) is LUST Crossmark on the rear and High Roller on the front. Fast rolling on the rear, grippy on the front.

Not for everyone I'm sure but (relatively) cheap and available.
    "Internet Forums - an amazing world where outright falsehoods become cyber-facts with a few witty key taps and a carefully placed emoticon."
  • funkydung
    funkydung Posts: 116
    Hutchinson Barracudas 2.3, enough said.
  • ads4
    ads4 Posts: 698
    Conti verticals work well for me.
    Adam.

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Current ride - Yeti ASR 5a X0
  • Ok, I am running Conti Double Fighters on a Trek 8000 as a commute and hard pack tyre, with a Panaracer Dart/Trailraker combo for wet winters as well as the std Bonty Jones XRs for intermediate conditions. Eventually when I have killed all these tyres I will go for a 2.1 Fire XC Pro or 2.25 Cinder for everything.

However, for my Orange, how big is a Fire XC Pro UST compared to my 2.2 MK? Is the 2.1 Panaracer much smaller. I am worried about using a tyre which is too narrow thus having a smaller contact patch and also a smaller tyre could loose out on 'side wall height' making it more prone to pinch flats or bashing my lovely rims ;-)

Harvey
  • Bit the bullet!

Bought a High-Roller LUST 2.35 and banged the on the front, will use the Conti 2.2 MK on the rear for a while and see how they go. Looked at Nobby Nic's but was quoted £110 for two UST 2.25s.

Was dreading the tyre change on 819 UST rims with all the horror stories I read. But it was a piece of cake! MK came off virtually by hand, just needed a level for the last bit. HR LUST went on easily, pumped to 40PSi, dropped the air out, popped half of one side off and poured in two scoops of Stan's. Popped the rest of the tyre back on the rim, rotated several times, pumped up to 40PSi again she popped on and sealed nicely, rotated several more times in every orientation.

24hrs later and the tyres is still holding 40PSi - was I lucky or is it really this easy?

Harvey
  • eddyesi
    eddyesi Posts: 198
    guilliano wrote:
    Around the Chilterns I always got on well with Bonty Mud X as an all year rounder. They even worked well at all the Afan/Glyncorrwg trails when I took them there, although I would have liked a wider tyre. I tried the Bonty Jones ACX 2.2 and they were great until it got really muddy, then they just clogged up completely.

Another Bontrager ACX fan here, not tried on cloggy mud but great on anything else from dry hardpack, gravel slippy mud and wet roots and rocks, nearly as good as the NN's i had before, and better than the XC pros as a fast all rounder as they have the nice dual compound and more progressive. Work on Cannock and all the trail centres i have tried recently (LLandegla, Cwmcarn and penmachno) for me at least. If its that muddy i have thinner mud tyres anyway

Few things
    1) there light - even in UST/TLR form there not much heavier than normal NN's 2.2 is 600g, 2.35 <750g even in TLR pretty much the lightest out there.
    2) they do come up narrow, the 2.2 is more like a 2.1, 2.35 is about the same as the NN 2.25
    3) Similar pattern and feel to NN's and a lot more durable in TLR form - destroyed the rear NN in 4mth sidewalls ripped though from stress wear!, ACX was fine untill this weekend, got a nick in the sidewall on rocks, so not that durable but not too bad.
    4) Cheap - normal ones can be found under £20, TLR <£25, so you can get a pair for the price of one UST NN 8) LBS did £45 :lol:
    http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/107783.html
    http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/107782.html

get the thumbs up for me anyway
  • Maxxis Ignitors are what I'd go for in all but the gloopiest of conditions. They roll well and are very predictable.
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    I'm running Kenda Nevegal DTC 2.1's as an all round tyre and found them to be grippy but fast enough rolling also
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp