Planet-X Riders Pt 2

nax-ian
nax-ian Posts: 209
edited August 2009 in Road beginners
Coupla weeks ago I asked "why PX ?"
Since then I've read about possible flex from the bottom bracket area, maybe be cos of inferior carbon being used, and therefore bringing the price down against what you could pay for a full carbon frame.
You PX riders wanna share anything about this?

My 19" SC Superlight is still for sale!
Finished

Comments

• nax-ian
    Hello anyone there?
    Finished
  • pabloweaver
    pabloweaver Posts: 444
    edited August 2009
    Had my PX since November 2008 with no problems at all re: flex.

the only " issues " I have had are the front end is twitchy in strong cross winds ( and to paraphrase another topic thats running ...its ALWAYS windy these days ) but I think thats going to be expected with any lighweight bike ( I dont have deep section wheels )

and ....when Im tearing towards the speed indicator thingy on the main road on the the way home ( obligatory sprint with mates ! ) and I start to hit 35mph ish ..the back wheel skips due to the power going through the rear ...though I suspect thats more down to my position/technique than the bike ..

on a slightly rising road with not the greatest of run ins or tow I have topped out at 37ish mph...not brilliant I imagine but enough to let me feel any flex in the BB area if there was any.
    http://www.northcheshireclarion.co.uk/

Great club in and around the Warrington area.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    No flex issues at all, I am not a light rider and I like to power up the hills. The frame is well made and rides well, it does suffer from a hell of a lot of prejudice though! At the time I got mine, a full carbon frame with Dura Ace for £1k was an incredible bargain, never regretted it!

Note, Massi also sell bikers with this frame.
  • nax-ian
    Thanks for all your input guys.
    Hope they've still got my size when I manage to raise the cash!!

Santa Cruz Superlight 19" ready to sell
    Finished
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    I think the stories about BB flex come from people who have spent three times that amount on a posing frame and don't want to accept that they could have got just as good for far less money.

I've never ridden a PX, but everyone who has seems to be very pleased with them.
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    I borrowed someone's planet X for half a day in the Pyrenees. It was a fair bit too big for me but I was quite astonished with the speed at which the effort put into the pedals when standing up was converted into forward propulsion.

Descended pretty well too. Given that it was too big for me and i'd never ridden it before I still felt pretty confident with it bombing downhilll.

Then again, I don't weigh too much so I don't think I'm the best candidate to test flex.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.