yipee !!! bigchaz you will like

fourcrossjohn
fourcrossjohn Posts: 2,500
edited September 2009 in The Crudcatcher
i have convinced my mum to let me do my cbt, shej ust needs to convince my dad :(

i will be getting a 125cc honda cbf all permitted

CBF125-action.jpg

i am going to book my cbt as soon as !

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Sweet.
    My brother was killed ona motorbike, so unfortunately, that means if I ever bought a bike, my entire family would disown me.
    Come to thin of it, that might be a great reason to GET a bike!
  • gaff_taff
    gaff_taff Posts: 346
    Sorry to hear that,

I really want to do my cbt but i am only 15 so i can't. I have loved motorbikes for about 5 years. My mum is really against getting one :evil:

Taff
  • fourcrossjohn
    i am 17 so will be getting a proper one not a hairdryer, my auntie had a sevre accident which put the whole family off nd i made the point if she stuck to speed limit she wudnt of come off
  • Anonymous
    Well, you can still be killed even if you stick to the speed limits.
    Most bikers are killed by the actions of others.
  • fourcrossjohn
    that is my parents concern as they have no trust in other motorist but i have explained to some extent i am more vulnerable on my mountain bike on a road,

i WILL be buying , helmet,kevlar re inforced jacket, reinforced leggings and alpinestars boots and a decent pair of gloves
  • gaff_taff
    gaff_taff Posts: 346
    My mum has know about 5 people that have been killed on motorbikes so she is a bit sceptical (sp) my dad doesn't mind that much as he wants to do his test once he gets back from afghanistan.
    Good luck anyways and post up pics of your bike when you get it :D

taff
  • fourcrossjohn
    doubt will be before x mas tho :(
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    personally i don't think most bikers are killed by others Yee, you should know that from driving the A470 alot of bikers are killed because they are silly.

BUt i would love to learn to ride too, just not enough budget with the bike and cars
  • Anonymous
    A lot of bikers are killed by being silly, yes. But it is not falling off the bike that kills the majority.
    However, I reckon that crazy riders + ignorant or bad drivers is what causes the most deaths.
    For example, a lunatic on a bike might be doing something that given ideal conditions, wold be fine. But, a bad drier thrown into the equation ends up in death.

Anyway, it's all a bit morbid. I love bikes, and have always wanted one.
    Glad you've got a motorbike :D
  • fourcrossjohn
    dont got it yet,

dad still needs to be persuaded and cbt done and bike to be bought

i have all the moneys
  • Anonymous
    Oh, ok.
    Don't show him this thread then! :lol:
  • Dude, your 17, I'm sure that qualifies for being able to make your own decisions. I can see it now: "dad can I have a motorbike?" "no" unlucky. Just go get it, the old man may go a bit apeshit but he'll get over it.
    While we're on the subject, my dad's best mate was killed at 17 on a motorbike. Then again, he was using off road tyres on a wet road at the time :(
  • fourcrossjohn
    why?
  • fourcrossjohn
    my dad would take the wheels off the bike, he has also said if i get a bike without permition i will be disowned
  • Anonymous
    Dude, your 17, I'm sure that qualifies for being able to make your own decisions.
    I'm guessing at 17, he's also still having to live at home? Could cause some serious issues.
  • fourcrossjohn
    at 17 i am still a student andat work, getting a bike will be good for comuting to either and going on a ride with my mate who has a yamaha.

and it means i wont have to blag lifts off the rents to go places
  • Anonymous
    John, I'm on your side, I'm just saying that going against your old man could cause some domestic issues.
  • fourcrossjohn
    i know which is why i am letting my mum convince him which will take about a month or so or if thete is goodness behind it an evening.

i dont go behind wat my parents say
  • Just do it.

I passed my test at the end of the 90's and bought my bike in 2000 new.

Still got the old girl, she rocks.
    Bike-powdercoated002_edited-1.jpg
  • Anonymous
    Nice bike. :D
  • fourcrossjohn
    nice bench
  • BurtonM
    BurtonM Posts: 425
    i know it sounds daft, but give him verbal presentation, thats how i got my dad to cough up the money for my bike. im 17 and went through a fase of wanting a scooter at 16, but i have a car now and will be passed my test soonish.
    yeehaamcgee wrote:

That's like saying i want a door for my car that doesn't meet the roof, because I once had the wind blow it shut when I was getting in, and I had my head squished between, well, the door and the roof.
  • xstrathyx
    xstrathyx Posts: 1,104
    gaff_taff wrote:
    Sorry to hear that,

I really want to do my cbt but i am only 15 so i can't. I have loved motorbikes for about 5 years. My mum is really against getting one :evil:

Taff

done my CBT 4 times now (in the main because i knew the minute i passed my full bike, i would get a ducati or somethind mad and off myself).

Much fun to be had on bikes upto 125cc. I have a scooter and now that i just recently passed my driving i will be gettins shot of. Still had many a day of fun on my bike.

strongly recommend you do your CBT, its fairly simple and a good grounding
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    Cool. CBT are actually very enjoyable.

Passed my DAS back in June. Got a CBR600 now.

Bikes are great, MTB skills translate nicely especially on lighter bikes, balance reaction times and most of all no panicking when things go a bit wobbly.

You can't really fail a CBT. But do pay attention to it. I know being 17 you have an attention span measured in seconds ;-) but the skills you learn on your CBT are more important to keeping you safe than anything you'll ever learn on your Mod1 or 2 if you go on to do your test.
  • fourcrossjohn
    got home from work and my mum told me i cant get anything till after x mas

i pointed out its all my omney and after a half hour 'discussion' she said just convinve your dad i doint care anymore do what you want

it is a win but with a moral loss

end of sept i will 1430
    bike costs 1395
    cbt 120
    insurance annaul is 630 so will do monthly
    helmet 150
    leather no idea

so much money to save up :evil:
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    thats a good price on the bike. most mountain bike cost more and even much more than that
  • fourcrossjohn
    if it meant i could get the bike i would sell my mtb

obviously get a new 1 after
  • ramemtbers
    ramemtbers Posts: 1,562
    nooooooooooo you can never sell your bike enless you buy a new one straight away. :?
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    Noooooooooooo

Granted I've got a Car so not stuck for transport. Motorbikes aren't as much fun as MTB's and no offence but my CBR is more fun than a 125cc.

Motorbikes are good fun, but you largely have to obey the rules of the road, there's constantly other road users trying to kill you - ask any biker, it seems like people activily try to knock you off.

MTB's you can ride however you dam well please, and if it all goes wrong 99 times out of 100 you walk away, sadly motorbikes are the other way around.

By all means have both, but IMHO you regret selling a MTB to buy a motorbike.
  • fourcrossjohn
    parents have said its a moped or nout so looks like i'm getting a chavy peugeot spped fght 2