Speedometer / Cycle Computer Advice

chris.scotland
chris.scotland Posts: 17
edited August 2009 in MTB buying advice
I have been using a cheap CBoardman wireless computer for a while now but sadly it has decided to break and the screen is just blank 98% of the time so I need something to replace it.

First question - wired or wireless? Wired looks so much more reliable/waterproof to me not to mention cheaper but how would it handle 160mm of suspension travel on my Reign X? I can imagine plenty of snapped cables...

And secondly, can you recommend a RELIABLE and water/mud-proof unit that is around the £30 mark.
    Have looked at the Cateye Strada wireless but the handlebar clamp looked weak and that put me off it - why cant they just use zip ties!? Or the Cateye Micro Wirless but the wheel sensor looked weak from the photos with its rotating body? The Blackburn Delphi units have cadence which is another sensor that would likely just get in the way and clutter my bike. The Topeak panoram units have a flimsy handlebar mount that looks like it would get snapped off. Maybe the Sigma 1106 DTS, NiteRider Rebel 2.0 or cheap Decathlon DC 7R?
Anyone got some ideas?

Comments

• snig
    snig Posts: 428
    wireless!
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    How are wires more waterproof than a radio signal :? , though I see some advantage for basic reliability with wires I've never had a problem with my wireless cateye micro, so I'd suggest wireless.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    bails87 wrote:
    How are wires more waterproof than a radio signal :?
    I was wondering that too? Doesn't make sense.

Anyway, back when I used to have a cycle computer, I had far too many cable breakages when I ran Junior T forks. The suspension travel would cause a lot of slack in the cable, which would then get caught in bushes, front tyre, etc.
    So, when wireles computers finalle became affordable, I went for one, and it was fine.
    It lasted until I lost interest in it - which was several years.
  • bails87 wrote:
    How are wires more waterproof than a radio signal :? , though I see some advantage for basic reliability with wires I've never had a problem with my wireless cateye micro, so I'd suggest wireless.

I was meaning with wireless you have an extra battery and a radio transmitter down by the wheel where its going to get covered in mud and water. Wired has just two wires and a reed switch ;)

I think you guys are right, wireless is the answer. Maybe I'll grab a cateye micro too if you've not had any problems bails.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I got a VDO one for about £35 - two buttons only and it seems pretty good in terms of build quality. Cable tie fitment.
    Faster than a tent.......