Silver Powerlinks. What's The Point???

blister pus
blister pus Posts: 5,780
edited August 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
If you can't can't get the ******* ***** open!!

You could die of malnutrition on a ride trying to get one of those things off. I've tried most of the methods mentioned in online threads and it's not moving. So before I get the chain tool out , what's your secret?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Pliers!

Some seem to be more stubborn than others.

Isn't silver 8 speed? Or is that black?
  • blister pus
    Silver 8 spd chain it is. Needless to say the Gold one you just squeeze together and push. No such luxury in the 8 spd chain world. I've had some wrestling matches before but this takes the cake.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    TBH I don't really use power links - I just join with a chain tool. I don't remove the chain to clean, and if the chain busts on the trail - you need the tool anyway!
  • blister pus
    Irony is I've been using a KMC non powerlink chain since I got the bike and removing the pin with the chain tool and it's worked fine, but the chain finally gave out so thought I'd try a different brand. This is still all part of getting the wheel off checking for root cause of that chain slippage. Makes slow work slower with a silver powerlink - let me tell you. :P
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    the silver and gold work just the same.watched this?
    http://bicycletutor.com/quick-release-chain-link/

:wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • blister pus
    Ahh, but they dunt do this though do they. Thas what I'm talkin' about. :P :lol:

I changed pliers and got some decent pincer nosed ones and that did the job eventually. A lot of fannying about if you were on the fly though, unless you have some extraterrestrial knack for such things of course.
  • Park master link pliers make the removal very easy.
  • blister pus
    Then that's an item I should be collecting along the way. Ta. :)
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    I find if the chain is clean they work very well, well gunked up they are quite hard to get undone.
  • blister pus
    And therein lies the problem. I've started using Squirt which essentially gunks up the chain and then self cleans. But it does gunk up a chain to some tune.
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    If he new chain is slipping on the old cassette, it is likely that the cassette is worn and you may need a new one.

You do need to make sure the power links are clean, a little bit of grit is all it takes, or too much lube so you can squeeze and slid.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • blister pus
    New cassette, new chain, little relevant wear on the chain rings. However, the chain slippage is bizarre and i think it's a combination of things as I have actually got a couple of the things mentioned in that other thread (stiff links, cables need replacing, needed one extra 1/4 of a turn on the lockring). I was going to update that thread tomorrow when I've hammered a hill or two.

Squirt is very odd stuff indeed and there's no doubt it does everything in it's power to stick the two plates together. So I need one of them there tools above.
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    Park master link pliers make the removal very easy.

^this. They cost more than ten powerlinks, but what price sanity?
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day