what bike ?

keaty84
keaty84 Posts: 7
edited August 2009 in Road beginners
first post here so, hello to everyone. would love some advice as new to road bikes. i have had a hybrid for about 6 years and have recently taken up running too, and thought why not train for a few triathlons on the way. i have £500 to spend maybe £600 at a push and have been looking at trek's 1.2 and the 1.5. please can someone give me ideas on what age bike to get and what model. or do i get a new 1.2 or a older 1.5 model. or something else. please help. thank you

Comments

• Chris Boardman Road Bike!
  • keaty84
    keaty84 Posts: 7
    the comp? looks quite basic though
  • jimsam33
    jimsam33 Posts: 59
    I have the 09 Trek 1.5 which I have found to be fantastic. If you can find one of those then you will not regret it. If you can't find one then I'm sure you'll be happy with 10 1.2.
    Treks are well made bikes with decent frames. They also have a good network of LBS.

Some of the components are slightly lower spec than others but the average newbie (like me) will not notice the difference. Plus you could choose to upgrade later down the line

hope that helps but its a trek everytime for me.
  • keaty84 wrote:

What do you mean it loks basic? It is the best specced bike in its price range.
  • The Comp is deffo not basic. I've got one, and for the money they are hard to beat!
  • juankerr
    juankerr Posts: 1,099
    The Comp is better specced than the Trek 1.5, lighter too.
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    keaty84 wrote:

What do you mean it loks basic? It is the best specced bike in its price range.

this is true - and actually the way that 2010 bikes are coming out at LOWER spec and HIGHER price - the boardman looks increasingly good value.

I think if I was in the market for a beginner bike at the moment it would be an easy choice for me. The geometry is a nice middle ground between 'too racy' and 'sportive' and they actually look great!

the only downside is the sometimes unpredictable setup that people have been receiving from halfords.