Tazering pregnant women

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited August 2009 in The Crudcatcher
I was just reading about a new tazer gun device, which allows police etc to fire it from up to 20 metres, instead of the normal 5 metres.
The device has been tested on cadavers and so on, and has been shown to cause no impact damage underneath the skin, so, no broken bones, serious internal bleeding, etc.

However, one of the main criticisms of the device is...
What happens when the weapons are fired at pregnant women, people with health problems, or the very young

Now, is it just me who's wandering why a pregnant woman would be tazered? And if so, then surely then any damage caused by it would be much less than cause by, oh, lets say A REAL GUN? :roll:

Comments

• boogercj
    boogercj Posts: 316
    Dunno though, pregnant women can be quite aggressive/protective! :wink: :P
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    my missus is pregnant at the minute and her hormones are all over the place, but i've never thought "where's the tazer? i need to calm her down"

:lol:
  • Could've used it on a lowlife at the market. heavily pregnant & smoking away. Pet peeve of mine, well smoking anyway but when pregnant, argh. Tazer her or something.
    Start Weight 18st 13lbs March 2009
    17st 10lbs August 2009
    17st 4lbs October 2009
    15st 12lbs December 2010

Final planned weight 12st 7lbs
  • Anonymous
    But surely it's better than shooting them with a real shotgun?
  • Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616

I think police tactics have come on a long way since 1937, are you sure that is the only alternative :lol:
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • Anonymous
    haha! when you put it that way lol.

But, my point is, if you're in a situation where you have to use a weapon, then surely it doesn't matter how bad the tazer is, it's still going to be better than a gun.
  • welshkev
    Could've used it on a lowlife at the market. heavily pregnant & smoking away. Pet peeve of mine, well smoking anyway but when pregnant, argh. Tazer her or something.

yeah i hate that aswell, and people smoking in close proximity to young kids. my missus smoked about 15 a day and she's quit totally, i'm really proud of her it was a real struggle at first :D
  • boogercj
    boogercj Posts: 316
    welshkev wrote:
    it was a real struggle at first :D

And you say you've never been tempted to use a Tazer on her? I don't believe you :wink:
  • Anonymous
    Man, I became a right moody git when I stopped smoking. I'm surprised no-one tazered me.
  • welshkev
    boogercj wrote:
    welshkev wrote:

And you say you've never been tempted to use a Tazer on her? I don't believe you :wink:

well, thinking back if i had a tazer......... :lol:
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    welshkev wrote:
    boogercj wrote:
    welshkev wrote:

well, thinking back if i had a tazer......... :lol:

Ha - I bet she would have used it on you in a flash!
  • Anonymous
    :shock:
  • Flenser
    Flenser Posts: 372
    Dunno which one you're reading about... it's all about the Taser XREP. 8)

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/07/10/taser_shotgun/
    The 2.4 gram TASER XREP (pictured) leaves an ordinary 12-gauge barrel at about 300 feet per second. When it hits, as well as providing "blunt impact", four barbed electrodes puncture clothes to deliver the same painful jolt as one of the firm's handheld weapons. The 20-second shock comes from a lithium ion battery.

xrep_shell.jpg
    Claud Bulter Cape Wrath D27 (2009)
    Raleigh MaxLite FS1 (2001)
  • Anonymous
    Flenser wrote:
    Dunno which one you're reading about... it's all about the Taser XREP.
    Actually, that's exactly the one I was reading about!
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Use of tazers in many cases is pathetic anyway - especially if the target is not armed. Police officers should just MTFU and get stuck in.

Video on youtube a while back had 3 police officers tackling an 80yr old man with a tazer. How feeble is that?

Look at this sort of bullshit. What a tosser:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGXH-MwUt5E
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Daz555 wrote:
    Use of tazers in many cases is pathetic anyway - especially if the target is not armed. Police officers should just MTFU and get stuck in.

Video on youtube a while back had 3 police officers tackling an 80yr old man with a tazer. How feeble is that?

I can see the point of tazers. My g/f's brother is a copper and he was stabbed in the thigh by a bloke, high on something, who shrugged off CS spray like it was deoderant and couldn't even feel the truncheon blows raining down on him. A tazer would have prevented the officer receiving the stab injury. It could have been a lot worse.
  • XxxBFGxxX
    XxxBFGxxX Posts: 1,355
    boogercj wrote:
    Dunno though, pregnant women can be quite aggressive/protective! :wink: :P

n mate take out protective just agresive and take out pregnant and its just women mate.
  • CanalRider
    CanalRider Posts: 194
    Trouble is cops carry so much kit nowadays it is very hard to have a proper fight. CS spray f**ks me over worse than it does to any baddy.

I have four major scars: one as a result of cycling pissed into a ditch, one through major surgery and the other two caused by women. They scratch and bite which results in an anxious 3 month wait for HEP and HIV tests. Scary things women. Fortunately I can talk my way out of most fights, bore them to death works best. I am old now and lock me in an office and won't give me a tazer. Shame they'd be fun when SCR :-)
    --
    Saw a sign on a restaurant that said Breakfast, any time -- so I ordered French Toast in the Renaissance.
  • Anonymous
    Daz555 wrote:

Holy crap :roll:
    I hope to god those cops lost their jobs because of that. That's insane.
  • xstrathyx
    xstrathyx Posts: 1,104

its a close call.....tazer of shooting them.

think we should have a poll on that one lol
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    CanalRider wrote:
    Trouble is cops carry so much kit nowadays it is very hard to have a proper fight. CS spray f**ks me over worse than it does to any baddy.

I have four major scars: one as a result of cycling pissed into a ditch, one through major surgery and the other two caused by women. They scratch and bite which results in an anxious 3 month wait for HEP and HIV tests. Scary things women. Fortunately I can talk my way out of most fights, bore them to death works best. I am old now and lock me in an office and won't give me a tazer. Shame they'd be fun when SCR :-)

scared of no men and very few women...... :wink:
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    CanalRider wrote:
    Scary things women.

Amen to that

trouble with Tasers as I see it is that they are assumed to be a "stop but don't harm" weapon so can get used in a circumstances that would not warrant a firearm in the absence of a taser but then when combined with certain circumstances (sometimes predictable, like the canadians who tazed that dude in the airport 10 times till he had a heart attack sometimes not like tazing someone pregnant but not showing or someone with a pacemaker/heart condition) can have unintended and arguably unnecessary fatal results.

It would be very interesting to see independent stats on lives saved vs lost as it's just as easy to imagine circumstances in which a Taser avoids an escalation to the use of firearms and so avoids fatality.

I want the one you fire from a 12 gauge though. that is bloody evil
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day