I'm thinking about getting the cateye strada cadence double
wireless computer. Anyone got one and if so what do you
think about it. Does it do the job and would you recommend
it to anyone else

regards Ja

Comments

• kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Should pick mine up tommorrow £62 from wiggle. I will let you know what I think.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    My new bike had one fitted when it arrived... Very nice, too.
    I had a Polar CS300 on my other bike and in comparison, the Cateye is so much quicker to react and easier to jump through the menus.
    I love it. :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Gregger
    Gregger Posts: 71
    I have one on my Trek

Top kit, recommended. Straight forward to fit and works fine
  • kingrollo
    First ride with the cateye strada double wireless today - not overly impressed if I am honest.

The sensor for the real wheel is a real pain to adjust - especially if your chain stays have any sort of shape in them.

But my main gripe, is once on the road, scrolling through menu's you press the whole computer, which presses the mode button on the back. Unfortunately any bump in the road has the same effect - I couldn't get it to stay on average speed.

I dunno what happened in the final few miles, because a function called 'dist 2' was activated somehow, this showed 4 miles, and my average speed was based on this, the other 40 milesI have no record of the average speed. The instructions don't describe what the functions are, but I guess that dist 2 is some kind of trip distance, I don't know how I activated it - but average speed is something I lack to track - so this is major drawback for me.

...If anybody has any info on Dist 2 ....let me know !
  • zedders
    zedders Posts: 509
    What about the Polar CS200cad ?
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Polar ... 360027225/

You can get one for less than £80 new and its got a HRM included. All wireless etc, and you can download the data via Polar's website etc.

The display is quite nice and the buttons are a decent size so no accidentially pressing the wrong button etc. For the extra £20 or so I think its well worth it compared to the cateye.
    "I spend my petrol money on Bikes, Beer, Pizza, and Donuts "

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38256268@N04/3517156549/
  • kingrollo wrote:
    ...But my main gripe, is once on the road, scrolling through menu's you press the whole computer, which presses the mode button on the back. Unfortunately any bump in the road has the same effect - I couldn't get it to stay on average speed.

kingrollo - How/where have you got the computer mounted? I just got mine a few days ago and haven't experienced any issue of it clicking the mode button when going over a bump. Does the mode button on yours feel really loose?

Regarding Dist 2; as far as I can make out it's just a second trip counter, which doesn't get reset along with the other data, so you can start the day with everything at zero, then perhaps when you get half way and turn round you can then clear Dist 2 in order to see a separate trip distance for the return journey. Average speed is calculated for the first Distance and time though, so not sure what's happened to yours! :(
  • kingrollo
    cromozone wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:
    ...But my main gripe, is once on the road, scrolling through menu's you press the whole computer, which presses the mode button on the back. Unfortunately any bump in the road has the same effect - I couldn't get it to stay on average speed.

kingrollo - How/where have you got the computer mounted? I just got mine a few days ago and haven't experienced any issue of it clicking the mode button when going over a bump. Does the mode button on yours feel really loose?

Regarding Dist 2; as far as I can make out it's just a second trip counter, which doesn't get reset along with the other data, so you can start the day with everything at zero, then perhaps when you get half way and turn round you can then clear Dist 2 in order to see a separate trip distance for the return journey. Average speed is calculated for the first Distance and time though, so not sure what's happened to yours! :(

Its all packed ready to be returned to the seller. The resetting and the functions being moved by bumps are a common fault on this computer per google !.

Decided I didn't need cadence, and have gone back to my original philosophy with cycle computers, ....buy a cheap one ..run it for a year ....it breaks ...replace. Brought one from Decathlon for £16 - very easy and logical set up, great big display as well.
  • Do you all have yours mounted like this? Using cable ties? No issues of any movement etc?

552-og.jpg
  • aye, fabulous bit of kit. never had any issue with bumps changing the mode!
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    I have the Cateye Strada Wireless, and the only time mine has reset itself over bumpy roads is when the computer battery was low. Mine actually reset the whole unit, rather than just cycled through the different readouts.

Normally it takes a pretty good press of the unit to change the readouts. Mine is mounted with cable ties, with the computer on the stem.

Dist2 is only there for a cumulative mile reading, if you reset any of Dist1/Elapsed Time/Average Speed/Max Speed then all are zeroed except Dist2, you have to do this one separately. The overall mileage only get reset on a complete computer reset/battery change.
  • I had the wired cadence and it broke - replaced it with the wireless without cadence. Can honestly say I've never missed having the Cadence function (you can have too much info) and the bike obviously looks cleaner.

Would save 20-30 quid and get the non-cadence version to be honest!

Never had any issues with bumps either.
  • Flasheart
    Flasheart Posts: 1,278
    zedders wrote:
    What about the Polar CS200cad ?
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Polar ... 360027225/

You can get one for less than £80 new and its got a HRM included. All wireless etc, and you can download the data via Polar's website etc.

The display is quite nice and the buttons are a decent size so no accidentially pressing the wrong button etc. For the extra £20 or so I think its well worth it compared to the cateye.

That's what I have. I've had it since February and it's never reset or anything.
    I've stopped wearing the HRM though, for no other reason than I couldn't be bothered to put it on . Top bit of kit IMHO though :wink:
    The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle. ...Stapp’s Ironical Paradox Law
    FCN3
    http://img87.yfrog.com/img87/336/mycubeb.jpg
    http://lonelymiddlesomethingguy.blogspot.com/
  • aye, fabulous bit of kit. never had any issue with bumps changing the mode!
    +1
  • Escargot
    Escargot Posts: 361
    I've had one for a few months now and overall it is very good. I don't have a problem with it changing modes over bumps and it basically works fine. It's easy to set up, use and read the digits although I have to look down a fair bit as it's mounted on my stem.

My niggles with it are that the cadence magnet needed an additional spacer to get it within the specified 3mm and if I'm completely honest I think the sensor unit is a monstrosity. It's bloody massive and does not make my rear stay look very elegant.
  • I have a Strada double wireless and love it. Great for cadence workouts or kilo intervals on the turbo. A handy tool to keep the mind diverted from the heinous implement of torture, also known as the TURBO TRAINER!
    May the Spokes be With You
  • hennnerz
    hennnerz Posts: 5
    Escargot wrote:
    I've had one for a few months now and overall it is very good. I don't have a problem with it changing modes over bumps and it basically works fine. It's easy to set up, use and read the digits although I have to look down a fair bit as it's mounted on my stem.

My niggles with it are that the cadence magnet needed an additional spacer to get it within the specified 3mm and if I'm completely honest I think the sensor unit is a monstrosity. It's bloody massive and does not make my rear stay look very elegant.

Both these niggles are very true and hopefully will be sorted in future versions