Road Cycling holiday in S Africa

FlamingTberto
FlamingTberto Posts: 41
edited August 2009 in Road beginners
Hi,

My sis wants to go on a road holiday in S Africa. She is an absolutely newbie but pretty sporty so I think along the lines of 24 miles a day will be manageable ;-)

She can't find anything but off road holidays.

Anyone know of anything that way, about 7 days?

Ta
2009 Kona Zing - second ever racer and follows my 5 speed downshifters Raleigh Milk Race of 1987ish :-)

Comments

• dandrew
    dandrew Posts: 175
    South Africa is not a safe place and I would think twice and take proper advice before setting off on a road cycling holiday.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Not been but as above I've heard it can be a nightmare, some road clubs hire armed guards don't they?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Tell her to do it in an armoured car, much safer. Got mugged at knifepoint in a market out there, very scary they do not give a monkeys for you out there, especially women. Very dodgy. :cry:
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    UK is not a safe place either. Or rather some parts of the UK are not safe. Similarly, some parts of South Africa are not safe. To say the whole of South Africa is not safe is extremely ignorant.

Having said that, after spending several months in southern/eastern Africa (Ethiopia, Uganda, Tanzania, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Namibia) touring on my bike I found SA to be quite an unpleasant place due to the racial divide. And that was in 2003. Many nice people, but obvious that its nothing like any other country in Africa.
    More problems but still living....
  • bikerZA
    bikerZA Posts: 314
    I'm from SA and used to cycle on the roads there all the time. They are perfectly safe if, like anywhere in the world, you are careful.
    Don't cycle on tiny backroads in the middle of nowhere, in an area you don't know. Don't cycle on big, busy main roads. Just be sensible about it. Ask the locals how safe a particular route is before you attempt it.

SA has got some great wide roads, so there is plenty of room for cars and cyclists.