HOw much to do?

Miss Assister
Miss Assister Posts: 12
edited August 2009 in Road beginners
Hi

Been riding (mtb with skinny's) on the road to and from work now for a couple of weeks. Its partly because I want to lose a stone I put on since xmas, partly because fuel is so expensive and partly because I see no reason why I shouldn't be cycling to and from work as its not that far away!

So for the past two weeks I've been doing 16 miles per day on the road with one rest day a week. Feels ok, knees a teeny bit grumbly but I am 38 and I guess this is to be expected. I take glucosamine/chrondroitin, cod liver oil, ACE etc etc. I've not lept off the couch to do this, I was reasonably fit before - climbing and hillwalking. I feel great, sometimes its really hard but nothing e.g where I get to the other end and fall over.

So 8 miles in (35 ish mins), work for 5 - 7 hours on my feet all day, then 8 miles home tue-sat and then sundays I go for longer rides on the road (20 - 40 miles). I mix it up so I'm not just on the flat but include some moderate hillage. I rest on Monday as have to pick son up from school. I also do yoga.

Now someone said this is too much and I should be resting more. Is this right? I am keen not to get injured but presumed (perhaps wrongly?) that I'd 'feel' something which would indicate a potential injury. AND is 16 miles daily with an odd 20 or 40 miler that much? I'm thinking not compared to some of the mileages I see on the forums!!! I was thinking it wasn't enough. As I get better, my times are coming down so I'm only working for say 35 mins each way on average. Is this even doing me any good? Do I need to be adding miles onto each leg to get any benefit?

Welcome any advice. I'm posting it on here as although its a MTB, its road cycling I love. I never go offroad anymore and once Dream Roadbike arrives.... :D

Cheers

Jo

Comments

• mikeq
    mikeq Posts: 141
    Nah, it's not too much. Cycling is one of the sports less likely to cause injury, with the exception of falling off.

Okay you may get and overuse injury if your bike is not setup properly, but other than that you should be fine.

On the commute just don't push it every day, take some days where you ride easily, take 45 mins rather than 30.
    Cycling from Glasgow to Paris to raise funds for Asthma UK

www.velochallenge.org
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    +1 with Mikeq. Maybe a cheap heart rate monitor to keep you in that fat burning zone and not over training.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • Does the fat burning zone thing really work? I used to try it when running but I always went too fast. It was uncomfortable to run slow enough to keep it down. I use my Garmin 405 to track distance etc and it had a HRM built in but so far not bothered while cycling.

So I could continue with plan to up the miles then! :D
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Should be no problem, upping your mileage... As long as you do it gradually and don't cane yourself every ride. :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    Yes. But it's about time spent in the zone. I did Paris Roubaix last year, building up to it I did 16mile each way commute 4 days in the week and a long ride at the weekends, staying in that 75-85% zone. My weight didn't change much but the shape did. I used to be in the military and did tug of war. It is category weighted like boxing but eight of you have to be in a team weight. I used to thrash myself stupid on the bike trying to lose those kgs. I ended up constantly tired and under performing, weight bouncing over the course of a season. A winter of controlled training got me to the start of the season in March at the weight I would fight to get to by September. It's been the same on the bike. Over train and you crave calories and are often too tired to burn them properly.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    If you start to feel tired (ongoing rather than one-off bad days), take a complete week's rest every 8-10 weeks.

It really refreshes you and gives you a surge in motivation.
  • bice
    bice Posts: 772
    You should be fine with 8 miles each way unless pretty unfit. Why are you taking the vitamin supplements? Have you arthritis or an injury? If so, that might be a reason to go easier.

Knees should not really be hurting, so maybe the bike is not set up efficiently. Possibly the saddle is too low, which is a frequent cause of knee pain. Frankly, I would hate to commute on an MTB anyway. It should be doing you good. The fact you have some doubts on this score suggests the knee pain is more serious or persistent, so I would get the bike checked out. The only thing you should be suffering from is sweat.
  • Bice - I am fine with the 8 miles each way...as I said above I was wondering if I should up it. It was someone else who told me 8 miles each way for a newbie was too much. Pain may be due not to bike but to fact my knees are trashed from years of working in the woods (I was a commercial wood cutter). Pretty much all my joints groan which is why I take supplements. Knee pain is 'grumbling'...like...hard to describe...just an ache..not a pain and to be honest, last few days not had it so maybe also just initial shock of them being used. But, I will get bike checked out again for seat height etc. I do hate commuting on MTB but I have to save up for my dream road bike which is being built for me.

Wooliferkins - right, as of tomorrow then I'll start using the HRM function and try to work within the zone.
  • Infamous
    Infamous Posts: 1,130
    Does the fat burning zone thing really work?
    No.

To burn more fat work harder.
  • bice
    bice Posts: 772
    Bice - I am fine with the 8 miles each way...as I said above I was wondering if I should up it. It was someone else who told me 8 miles each way for a newbie was too much. Pain may be due not to bike but to fact my knees are trashed from years of working in the woods (I was a commercial wood cutter). Pretty much all my joints groan which is why I take supplements. Knee pain is 'grumbling'...like...hard to describe...just an ache..not a pain and to be honest, last few days not had it so maybe also just initial shock of them being used. But, I will get bike checked out again for seat height etc. I do hate commuting on MTB but I have to save up for my dream road bike which is being built for me.

Wooliferkins - right, as of tomorrow then I'll start using the HRM function and try to work within the zone.

OK, try this. Look up rosehip on the net. An excellent anti-inflamatory with no side-effects and if you dont really need it you will be getting a boost of Vitamin C. Being an outdoors type you could easily pick your own and make a tea. I have been using it for osteo-arthritis I have in my hip and something is working
  • mikeq
    mikeq Posts: 141
    Another natural anti-inflammatory is Manuka honey.

Has additional health benefits also.

I have started using it as I have asthma and can't risk taking ibuprofen and like.
    Cycling from Glasgow to Paris to raise funds for Asthma UK

www.velochallenge.org
  • Ok on Rosehip, I'll check it out, thanks. And the Manuka Honey. What strength?

As for Fat Burning Zone v Workinging Harder...confused doesnt even come close now. :?
  • asdfhjkl
    asdfhjkl Posts: 333
    Ok on Rosehip, I'll check it out, thanks. And the Manuka Honey. What strength?

As for Fat Burning Zone v Workinging Harder...confused doesnt even come close now. :?

There's no such thing as the "Fat Burning Zone". You can either exercise in the "zone" and burn X calories, or you can do high intensity exercise ("work harder") and burn those same X calories in much less time, while reaping the other benefits to high intensity work.

In the end, what really matters is that you're actually doing something :)