Touring:Chainset Shimano XT 22/32/44

Ripley
Ripley Posts: 16
edited August 2009 in Road beginners
Hi,
Just received the above chain set. I see some of the forums seem to recommend the 26/36/48 configuration for touring.
I may have purchased the wrong one i.e. 22/32/44 configuration. Does it matter that much or should I exchange them (bought them over internet-Chainreaction)?

Thanks, Jim, IRL

Comments

• denmancentral
    denmancentral Posts: 45
    edited August 2009
    Some people would find those (mountain bike) ratios too low for road riding. The 22 teeth inner might be handy for steep hills with luggage though.

Of course it depends on the riding you'll do, but bear in mind that on a bike with 700c wheels the gearing would be slightly higher than the equivalent with 26". 22-32-44 is what I have on my 700c tourer with a 11-34 cassette and it's fine for me.

What gears did you have before, and which ones did you use the most? It's nice to be able to stay in the middle ring on the flat and not run out of cassette! If you enter the details into this gear calculator http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears/ you can see the difference between them, and work out whether it will be too low for you.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    44-11 is plenty big enough for touring. Hell, I use 50-13 on my winter training bike, and 44-11 is bigger than that.

44/32/22 is plenty good enough for loaded touring. Should get you to 35mph if you are able to get your legs moving.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Ripley
    Ripley Posts: 16
    Great!!! I was dreading sending them back. The 700c wheel was a good point - hadn't thought of that - yep, I have 700c wheels.

Thanks you again for your help.
    -J