striped bottom bracket

skellator3
skellator3 Posts: 200
edited August 2009 in Workshop
hi i have an old winter bike (Steel Frame) this thing is over 20 years old, and when i serviced it this week i have found that the threads on the drive side of the bottom bracket housing has basicly rusted and will no longer hold the bottom bracket tight when i load it up it jumps out the thread. the non drive side is ok, any ideas on what i can do or is the frame going to the great scrap yard for dead bikes
dont only ride a bike

Comments

• gundersen
    gundersen Posts: 586
    personly I would take it to my lbs and get the threads recut
    that would help a lot
    if that was not enough I would use locktite

if you like the frame you could get someone to weld a couple of lines before you you get the threads recut
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    As well as the above, tThere are also some BBs that don't require BB threads - depends on the model of crank you want to fit.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • skellator3
    its just an old square taper nothing to fancy, so would i be better geting a few lines of weld laid down and get it re taped
    dont only ride a bike
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Easiest would be to get it re-threaded at your LBS and use Loctite or a few wraps of PTFE tape to hold it in place. Welding / re-tapping is far more difficult as you'd need to jig the frame and mill the weld before cutting the thread.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Bollocks to all this get it re-tapped. There isn't the metal there to do it properly, helicoiling could work but you'll quite possibly struggle to get one that big, although i'm not sure.

Best bet is a threadless bottom bracket, shouldn't be too expensive.
  • skellator3
    where can i get a threadless bottom bracket, sqr taper 127mm overall length. i agree that there is not enough metal to retap threads
    dont only ride a bike