What size Trek to you ride?

jimsam33
jimsam33 Posts: 59
edited August 2009 in Road beginners
I have recently entered the world of road cycling and have bought myself a 09 Trek 1.5 compact.
I am still getting used to the different riding style to that of my FX bike and am still a little concerned with the size I have.
My LBS sized me up and state that this is the right size for me.
I was just wondering what size Treks everybody rode and how tall they were?

My Trek is a 56 frame.

I am 5ft 11.5" with an inseam of 34"

Many thanks

Comments

• Hi there, I'm 5 foot 11" and when I got sized up for a Trek 1.2(not bought yet) my LBS suggested the 56" frame aswell. It felt the right size though.
    That's my 2 cents,

Paul
    Wakefield

Hybrid - Scott Sportster P5 2009
    Road - Trek 1.5 2010

strava
    twitter
  • doodoo_voodoo
    doodoo_voodoo Posts: 121
    edited August 2009
    Just ordered 54cm 1.2 triple 2009. I have come over from the world of MTB. I was doing mainly cycle tracks, and they were sooo slow on my MTB. I got tired of octogenarians overtaking me on road bikes...

I'm 5' 8"ish with inside leg of around 30-31".

Swithered over the 52cm, and I'm going to try one this weekend (I can change my order) - but the 54cm felt comfy enough.

I think I have quite a long torso, so hoping the 54cm compact should by okay. Difficult to tell without takng it out for a few hours.

I know it depends on what's comfortable, but does anyone thing I'd be better off with the 52cm?
  • I ride a 56cm and i'm just over about 5'10 and have a similar leg length as you.

What are you finding difficult about it? maybe you just need a bit if tweaking?
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • jimsam33
    My main problem i that my wrists hurt quite a bit and my neck a little. Most of it is probably down to me getting used to have a road bike.
    I took the bike into have its first free service yesterday and they have lowered my seat a little and flipped the stem to see if that solves the issue.
    They said I had my seat too high so that wont help (they lowered it about 2cm). They also said that once I'm more used to the bike I could return the stem to it's original position.
  • Leesykoi
    Leesykoi Posts: 338
    My Trek 1.2 is a 56 frame, i'm 5ft 10in with a 30in inside leg (yes a shortarse with short legs !!!)
    I like shiny bikes - especially Italian ones.....!!
  • I'm 5ft 10" with a 31" inside leg and have just ordered a Trek 1.2 compact in a 56 frame. Was in the LBS over an hour being measured up. Felt very comfy and am confident it was the right size for me.

Only time on the saddle will tell, too late then though :roll:
    The brave might not live forever, but the cautious don't live at all.
  • Gregger
    Gregger Posts: 71
    I have just bought a Madone 5.2

At 5'11" I've found the 56 fine

Slight stretch to the bars so I wonder if the stem is too long but give it time

The saddle is another matter!
  • I think a big problem when you start road biking is the reliance to place to much weight forward onto your wrists. Alot of peeps on here will tell you that you need to improve your core muscle strength so that you become lighter on the bars. It's something I'm working on at the moment.
    As for neck pin the only time I get it is when I'm on the drops. But that is mainly due to wearing glasses so I have to strain my head up more when tucked up so I can actually see where I'm going.

Are you stretching to far when on the hoods? If so loosen your stem and roatate your bars up a bit so your hoods are pointing skywards more. I find it much more comfortable with them like that.
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    I ride a 64cm Trek 1.9, but I'm 6' 5" with a 36" inside leg (not sure how relevant this will be to your question!)

Funnily enough the LBS thought I'd need a 62cm, but after being measured up and (most importantly) riding them back-to-back, the larger size immediately felt 'right'. Have tweaked saddle position, and changed angle of bars slightly, but haven't needed to touch the stem.

There a couple of posts on here that suggest trying a size bigger Trek than you think you might need, but I guess riding them is the only way to tell. I tested a couple of other bikes and thought they were okay size-wise (i.e. I would have bought them), until riding the bigger Trek and suddenly understanding the difference you feel when you find the right size.
  • Monkeypump
    Are you stretching to far when on the hoods? If so loosen your stem and roatate your bars up a bit so your hoods are pointing skywards more. I find it much more comfortable with them like that.

+1
  • jimsam33
    Thanks for the replies so far although they have only confirmed that sizing is all over the place. Like gregger I sometimes feel that I have a slight stretch to the bars on my 56, hopefully some of that will be removed with my new adjustments.
    However bulkydaddy and leeskoi are both shorter than me with much shorter inseam and have the same size bike. This making me feel the problem is not slight strech but the opposite where I am all bunched up. Both issues, I believe, would give you wrist ache. I am however inclined to agree with gregger where my bike feels fine.

Fungus,
    I think your advice is absoluelty spot on as I am also working on my inner core. Actually I was doing this before I started biking, as a result of another unrelated injury. By all accounts I currently have a very weak inner core.

Ah to know what I was actually talking about.
  • I've just bought a 58cm Madone 5.2 pro. I'm 6' 0" with a 34" inside leg, but I do have pretty long arms; the 58cm pro-fit frame feels perfect. I was previously riding a 59cm traditional steel road frame, which always felt a little bit too small in reach, whereas the Trek is nicely stretched out. The 56cm was definitely too small for me; very little adjustment left on the seat mast and much too short a top tube.

I would echo the recommendation to strengthen your core muscles. Another I've heard several times is to improve your hamstring flexibility - pelvic rotation plays a large part in your ability to ride with a flat back, which will in turn bring you closer to the bars.

My last suggestion is to make sure you ride with your arms bent at the elbow. When I got back into road biking my arms were very rigid, which allowed me to sit more upright, but did cause me to hunch my shoulders and put too much weight on my hands. With a conscious bend in the arms, the flatter stretched position feels much more relaxed.

Good luck!
    Pete
  • LittleB0b
    LittleB0b Posts: 416
    My trek 1.9 is a 52 - I'm 5ft 7 - although girl shaped (long legs, short torso)
  • Trek 1.2 5'8'' 29 inside leg, fitted tried the 52, first opted for the 54 felt more comfortable, had three months now, no problems. 5'10'' is not a shortarse you giant!
  • hells
    hells Posts: 175
    I'm 5"5 and have a 52cm trek 1.7 compact. Feels more comfortable than my 17 inch mtb
    Scott Addict R2 2010
    Trek 1.7 compact 2009
    Tank race elite 2007
    Marin Alpine trail 2007
    Specalized Langster 2010
    Kona Jake the Snake
  • hells
    hells Posts: 175
    I'm 5"5 and have a 52cm trek 1.7 compact. Feels more comfortable than my 17 inch mtb
    Scott Addict R2 2010
    Trek 1.7 compact 2009
    Tank race elite 2007
    Marin Alpine trail 2007
    Specalized Langster 2010
    Kona Jake the Snake
  • jimsam33
    I have just found out something interesting that relates to frame size.

Your shoe size.

I'm only a size 8 which is one of the reasons a size 56 frame suits me, where others of my height would require a larger frame.

Your shoe size affects your saddle height and your handlebar reach.

Your shoe size is equal to your forearm length. Try it: take your shoe off amd measure it against your forearm.

Your forearm is apparently a good measurement tool to get your handlebar reach about right. Put your elbow at the tip of your saddle, with your fingers outstretched the handlebars should be around 2-5cm away.
  • Monkeypump
    pete_d wrote:
    My last suggestion is to make sure you ride with your arms bent at the elbow. When I got back into road biking my arms were very rigid, which allowed me to sit more upright, but did cause me to hunch my shoulders and put too much weight on my hands. With a conscious bend in the arms, the flatter stretched position feels much more relaxed.

+1

I'm making a very concsious effort to do this, but it's easier said than done!
  • speedo
    speedo Posts: 115
    I am 5ft 11 with 31" inside leg - local trek dealer recommended a 58 1.2 trek double.
    have had no problems,currenly cycling 130 miles a week
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    You can:

Adjust the saddle height up or down, or position forwards or back wards.
    Alter your pedal cleat position again forward or backwards or side to side.
    The length and angle of your stem or fit an adjustable stem.
    The positioning of the bars - rotate them up or down by loosening the clamp.
    Alter the position of the STI units up or down on the drops but you will prob have to disturb the bar tape for this.

Don't change everything at once. Change one thing at a time. Your saddle height should be such that your heal can reach the pedal when it is at the bottom
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • Monkeypump wrote:
    pete_d wrote:

+1

This is why you need stronger core muscles. Having them will help you maintain your position with nice relaxed bent arms. Taking the strain off your arms and wrists whilst allowing your bigger abdo's to take the strain.
  • Look here Click Me

Get a tape measure

Then Here Click Geometry

Simples :D

It's all about the Top tube
  • kingderham
    kingderham Posts: 206
    I have just bought a trek 1.2c size 56, im just under 6foot i have long legs and a short upper body
    A mouthfull of mud, i guess ive crashed

Giant xtc se
    Trek 1.2compact
  • cash47
    cash47 Posts: 5
    I am 5' 8'' with a 30'' inside leg. Bought a 54 - 1.9 in May and have since done 1,000 miles on it with no problems.
  • Downwardi
    Downwardi Posts: 132
    5ft 11" 56cm Trek 1.5

Tried a 54cm felt better than the 56cm. LBS said 56cm would be better after a few tests the 56cm was purchased.
    Little tweaks work.
    FCN 8 Hybrid
    FCN 4 Roadie
  • jimsam33
    Tried the 56 out tonight with the new adjustments. WOW what a change.

After 13miles no wrist ache, no arse ache, no neck ache.

My saddle height is now 1.8cm lower than the lemond theory (.883 x inside leg).

It felt low at first but I went up hills better felt more stable and had more power towards the end of my ride.

And with the flipped stem I could actually use the drops for once. And on the drops the handle bar now blanks out the front hub.
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump wrote:
    pete_d wrote:

+1

This is why you need stronger core muscles. Having them will help you maintain your position with nice relaxed bent arms. Taking the strain off your arms and wrists whilst allowing your bigger abdo's to take the strain.

It's more of a case of remembering to do it - I just naturally seem to adopt a straight-arm position. More efforts this evening though, and improvements are being made!
  • jimsam33
    Forgot to mention that I also made a concsious effort last night to relax my arms and that more than likelyt contributed to my much improved ride