Stuck Front Derailleur

NWLondoner
NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
edited August 2009 in Workshop
My Ultegra front derailleur keeps getting stuck. I usually leave it on my big ring after a ride and a few days later and when I try to shift down I.E release the cable tension it is just stuck firm. I manage to et it moving after some manual labour. I have put some wet lube in the obvious places and hope this helps.

Could it be a sign of something more serious or just a case of more TLC needed?

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I suggest TLC. Take off the bike and drown the moving parts in degreaser and relube. Sounds like you're adding more lube to stiff pivots without cleaning them first.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    In addition to looking at the mech itself, it could be a build-up of crud in the cable as well - possibly in need of a strip-down, wipe & re-lube?

Other than that it may be that the spring has lost its "springy-ness" especially if its left under tension for long periods.
    Cycling weakly
  • toontra
    toontra Posts: 1,160
    A frayed cable within the shifter housing could cause this. You could find out by releasing the cable from the derailleur and feeding it out of the shifter. If it's OK then just re-attach it.

a serious case of small cogs
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If releasing the cable doesn't shift it, then its probably an accumulation of grit inside the spring and 'sticky' pivots. Remove it from the frame, give it a dunk in degreaser as suggested and get to work with a toothbrush to clean off all the muck. Then 'work' the pivots back and forth - you may need to clamp it back to the frame - and once moving try and get some oil or chain lube into those pivots. Fit and readjust - see www.parktool.com. Probably worth fitting a new inner cable and lubing the outer too.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..