Tourer or Roadbike with large gear range and wider tyres?

Shropshirelad1980
edited August 2009 in Road beginners
Hi there

Hoping you can help as very confused with all the choices of bikes out there. Before looking into things recently I thought there were BMX's, Moutain Bikes and Racing Bikes and that was it - oh how naive!

My requirements are mixed, I'm looking to commute work once or twice a week, use the bike for fitness on the road, very light off road (mainly canal toe path) and, as I don't drive, for general transport (when the wifes not about to drive me!)

Its on a Cycle 2 Work scheme with wheelies so I'm limited in what I can go for, I was originally thinking touring bike such as the ridgeback voyager or dawes regent. However my friend has said I should go for something like the Kona Dew Drop, which has the chunky tyres for off road stuff but still like a racer for when on the road.

Whats the general consensus here, a racer with chunky tyres or a tourer.

Also if I did go for a Dew Drop, would it be possible to stick a panier on the back - would this be usable as a light tourer should I ever get into going touring at the weekends and need to take some kit with me?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Regards

SL

Comments

• Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    Something like the Tifosi CK7. Not full on tourer but more than capable, light and nippy enough to whizz around on just needs a rack
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • Thanks for that just checked that bike out and it is really really nice but not available on my Cycle to Work Scheme - only bike on www.wheelies.co.uk are available.

I'm new seriously thinking about Specialized Tricross or Kona Jake as it seems they will be okay off road, on road, and also can add paniers and guards.

decisions, decisions
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    I like my Tricross, but the 2010 colour scheme is shocking. 2009 is bearable...
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I have a Tricross single and briefly owned a 2006 Tricross sport. Sounds like it'd be a good choice for you. Its light enough to be fun on road rides (especially if you get some lighter wheels), but is capable of touring with significant loads (not just light touring). I'd recommend you get the cantilever brakes swapped for mini v-brakes though unless Specialized have somehow solved the fork-judder problem in the 2010 model.
    More problems but still living....
  • How far do you comute?

Is it through traffic or Country side?

What kind of money do you want to spend?

There are some nice Hybrids available to you.

Canondale, Scott

Have you considered clothing plus all the other bits, pump, pu#ter repair kit, mud guards lights et al.
  • Thanks all for the replies I think I am going for a 2009 Tircoss Sport - I quite like the brown!

I am thinking of getting mini v brakes but apparantly the fork judder not an issue unless go for 58cm frame and above, I'll be ordering a 56cm one.

All the other kit yeah, I've thought about that, not sure about which type of pedals to get yet what do most cross ryders do? Mountain bike shoes?
  • Oh NO I've just seent he Genesis Vapour - Looks like good components and looks pretty cool too, any experiences anyone?