SRAM Rival gear problems

aircooleddude
aircooleddude Posts: 79
edited August 2010 in Workshop
Hi all - I have a Giant TCR Alliance 0 with SRAM Rival group set. I have 10 cogs on the back and 2 on the front. When I get down to 9 and 10 at the back it is catching the front derailleur (spelt wrong I know!). I have tried adjusting everything (adjustment screws etc) but cannot get it to stop catching. Does anybody have any thoughts please? I have had the bike a couple of months from new and covered 200 miles so far. I took it to my bike shop with the problem to sort it out, but it's still doing it and I think I;ve tried everything that they can try anyway!

Comments

• andy162
    andy162 Posts: 634
    Hi

Are you on the inner ring (front) when this is happening? If so your chain is crossed over on an angle that is causing it to rub on the front mech cage. Try shifting onto the outer of the two front rings & using cogs further up the rear sprocket. This will give similar ratio's without the noise.

You can also "trim" the front mech, give the lever one tap inwards & this will make the front mech "click" outwards a fraction.

Sram systems usually don't mind having the chain crossed ( I run RED on my bike) but it's not good practice & will wear the drive train out quicker plus you can get the noise problem.

Hope this helps.

Andy.
  • Thanks Andy, much appreciated. Yes, the chain is on the rear smallest cog. The second smallest cog does it a little, but not particularly noticeably. I will do what you have suggested. Thanks again!
  • Forgot to say - yes I am on the inside front cog too!
  • andy162
    andy162 Posts: 634
    Almost certainly due to the chain being crossed over. Like I said avoid the inner/outer gear combination. Likewise being on the largest front chainring(outer) and largest rear sprocket is best avioded too .

Glad to help!

Andy
  • I have just made a couple of adjustments to the trim and it is all now perfectly aligned and away from the front derailleur (spelt wrong again!) cage. It seems that the chain is cathing slightly on the outer front cog when on the inside front cog when on the smallest back cog and this is where the crunching sound is coming from. Is this chain crossover? Thanks again Andy and everyone else.
  • I've just fitted to Rival to my new bike and have the same problem. It is due to the mech and rubbing on the big ring. I never had this problem on 9 speed tiagra but I guess it will force me to stop using bad gear combos!
    Also why does the Rival front mech trim the big ring when it's normal to trim the smaller ring?
    I do like the groupset though, definately a big upgrade over Tiagra!
  • I know! I've spent 6 hours today trying to get it right and I'm convinced it's not possible!!! I recon Andy's sdvice is spot on and intend to avoid the smallest cog. The only thing is I've fidddled so much I can't get everything to how it was before!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • I was able to trim the front inside cog by turning the adjuster on the front cable a few turns, though it's not made a difference as it's the chain rubbing the cog as we've said rather than the chain rubbing the cage. I agree it's an excellent groupset just very frustrating!!!!!! :D
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    Read this article on "chain crossing" http://www.active.com/mountainbiking/Articles/_Cross_chaining___a_real_don_t_for_a_properly_functioning_bike.htm

Chain crossing is to be avoided wherever possible. The gears will rub/sound noisy if you do this, on even a correctly adjusted bike. :wink:
    Cycling weakly
  • Thanks mate - that's a very useful and informative article.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I run a 9sp shimano set up and I can't use the smallest rear cog with the inner front chainring the chain catches the 'shifting furniture' on the big ring and makes a racket.

Edit; I know I'm not meant to, just saying this sounds like the same problem.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • lochindaal
    lochindaal Posts: 475
    Check the SRAM website. They have videos on how to set up all parts of their products.

As already set though on the outer front SRAM should allow all rear 10 gears to be used. On the inner front you need to trim the front mech
  • russello
    russello Posts: 102
    A quick ask for some advice, as I seem to have a very similar problem.

After too much tinkering on my part, I seem to have adjusted back in line to appx 8 gears working on each chainring without any noise. Chain crossing not so much an issue.

However....each time I move from inner chainring to outer it looks/feels as if the chain is going to slip over the outer ring and come off. At the same time, this also causes chain rub on the rear derailleur. The only way to bring this back in line seems to be to 'click' the chainring shifter, and it makes a very small adjustment to the rear derailleur which brings everything back on track.

New to Rival, having always used Shimano, and could really do with some advice if this is normal. Feels a bit odd, as i don't want to loose the chain mid-shift, especially as speed.

If this is not normal, i'd really appreciate some suggestions on how to adjust.

After that - no more tinkering.......

Thanks.
  • russello
    russello Posts: 102
    A quick ask for some advice, as I seem to have a very similar problem.

After too much tinkering on my part, I seem to have adjusted back in line to appx 8 gears working on each chainring without any noise. Chain crossing not so much an issue.

However....each time I move from inner chainring to outer it looks/feels as if the chain is going to slip over the outer ring and come off. At the same time, this also causes chain rub on the rear derailleur. The only way to bring this back in line seems to be to 'click' the chainring shifter, and it makes a very small adjustment to the rear derailleur which brings everything back on track.

New to Rival, having always used Shimano, and could really do with some advice if this is normal. Feels a bit odd, as i don't want to loose the chain mid-shift, especially as speed.

If this is not normal, i'd really appreciate some suggestions on how to adjust.

After that - no more tinkering.......

Thanks.