I've bought some Tri Bars.................Now what??

cheehee
cheehee Posts: 427
edited August 2009 in Road beginners
Hi, I've bought meself some Tri bars for my TT'ing adventures. Is there any sort of rule of thumb as to how they should be positioned??

ie, in line with stem, horizontal, vertical :wink: etc

Ditto with the arm rests, whats a good starting point for them?

OR is it just a matter of trial and error?

The bars I bought were Profile Century jobbies.

Thankyou

Cheehee

Comments

• Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Trial and error - just a case of finding a position that is both aero and comfortable enough to ride.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • bikerZA
    bikerZA Posts: 314
    Find what's comfortable. Start with them horizontal to the stem,
    You might want to drop your handlebars a bit so the TT bars are lower than your saddle.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Aim to have your forearms parallel with the floor when you're down on the bars, and your upper arms < 90 degrees to the forearms. Then adjust if you think you need to or to add comfort. The ends should be far enough apart to prevent your hands meeting in the middle.

There's no absolute right & wrong as long as you don't have them pointing up / down at some silly angle.
  • cheehee
    cheehee Posts: 427
    Okey Dokey I've got the Tribars on. I've not had a chance to try them out yet.

I've got a 25 coming up. Would it be daft to use them for that, without having practiced on them in advance?

<Columbo mode on> Just one more thing. What is the 'done thing' if you puncture on a TT?
    <CM off>

Thanks in advance

Cheehee
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    I would have at least wanted one ride with them on before attempting the actual TT - you may find they're ok to begin with but very uncomfortable after half an hour - after which you'll have an agonsing finish to your run...

Re. puncture.....

Push!?!?!
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • JC.152
    JC.152 Posts: 645
    for a 25 you'll probly want to move your saddle forward for comfort cos your arms are further forward so by moving your saddle forward as well it makes it better for hips

as well you might need some pratice on them to get used to steering with them in things like windy days and when cars go round you and putting power down with your elbows towards your road bars are normally, quite a lot of people put on tri bars and then are surprised when they lose them time in a TT because of wrong position or just not being used to them