New Orange R8?

2»

Comments

• jadamson
    jadamson Posts: 644
    the frame only is on the orange website now £559 - http://www.orangebikes.co.uk/bikes/2010/r8_frame/

expensive but tasty :D still no weight though :?
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    im waiting for the new cotic bfe but ive just had a look at the curtis website mentioned earlier and now im not so sure :shock:
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Matt N wrote:
    Surely its not more expensive given that you get it built up nicely for 1.7 grand and the soul has more travel i think

Well, the Soul has the capability for more travel, as it's built strong at the nose, but you have the option of running 100mm. Seems a waste to me but some like it. So you have to ask what the Orange gains from not being capable of that. It does list that it can deal with 130mm but recommends 100mm. So that's why I'm hoping it would be noticably lighter.

Frame for frame, a Soul is £470 which, in all honesty, is possibly a bit steep. But the R8 is £550. So you have to ask why. Unless it's all because of the rack mounts?

£1700 for the Pro... I haven't costed that up but at a glance, it doesn't look like you're getting enough for your cash. And the build's got some of the usual Orange oddness, like cheap rims on expensive hubs and spokes, and a heavy steel cassette on a Hope alloy hub. It's not how most people would build a £1700 bike.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it's a lovely ride but is it anything like good value? Not convinced. I can't help but think that for that price it should be at least a couple of lbs lighter.

So, we await frame weights ;)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Matt N
    Matt N Posts: 160
    Northwind wrote:
    So you have to ask what the Orange gains from not being capable of that.
    how very poetic :lol::lol:

Seriously though i think you could be right, I still really want to get a Cotic Soul i rode one once and fell in love, i've thought about building one up but i want to wait until i can do it justice

I hate being poor :cry: I'm never going to have a family just so i can buy bikes! :lol:
    If calsberg made bikes... they'd probably be the best bikes in the world

’My Spesh’
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I don't want to just bang on about Souls, it's just a useful comparison, tbh I think I'd take a Scandal over the R8 if I wanted a racy XC bike, it'll be lighter and still nicely compliant. I miss mine :(
    Uncompromising extremist